Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Awful Quetiapine weight gain

Re: Awful Quetiapine weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by 23tana View Post
    Thanks MrAndy. I've tried splitting them but they are too small. I'll have to ask the pharmacist if they have a pill cutter to do it with. Doc seems to think I should be OK though as I've only been on them 2 months. Watch this space......lol
    Well we've all heard those immortal words uttered by the doc..I'd take Mr Andy's advice as I'm sure you will

I'm piling the pounds on! I know quetiapine and mirtazapine can cause weight gain but I'm also taking pregablin and not sure if that does too.
    I had lost 10kg when I was really bad but I've put that back on plus another 9 kg, I've also added an extra 20cm round my belly. Ifeel like a little buddha wandering round.
    My gym referral came through so I went for my induction last night that's how I know these things.....I am officially obese. My eating habits are horrendous, I can't stop snacking on crisps etc. I can't come off my meds as I'm still not stable so I'm going to try my best to keep out of the cupboards and go to the gym 3 x a week
    I hope I can do this

Day 4 of trying to reduce quetiapine and I feel dreadful. Severe shakes, nausea, headache and sweats.

I was on 75mg (3 x 25mg tabs) I dropped 25mg as that is the smallest dose there is. The parmacist can't split them and there is no liquid form.

I really don't know if I can do this.

go back up to 75mg and stabilize,buy a pill cutter off ebay they cost about 50p
    try again at a reduced dose but by splitting the tablets

It must be awful but please keep going? Cutting the 25mg in half or even into quarters with the pill cutter may be your best option? A 25mg initial drop is obviously too much for you. These drugs are powerful and the GP should be responsible and knowledgeable regarding withdrawal if agreeing to monitor you whilst you are being prescribed them by the psych. Too often the GPs are dismissive regarding withdrawal procedures and possible side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Lan69 View Post
    I'm piling the pounds on! I know quetiapine and mirtazapine can cause weight gain but I'm also taking pregablin and not sure if that does too.
    I had lost 10kg when I was really bad but I've put that back on plus another 9 kg, I've also added an extra 20cm round my belly. Ifeel like a little buddha wandering round.
    My gym referral came through so I went for my induction last night that's how I know these things.....I am officially obese. My eating habits are horrendous, I can't stop snacking on crisps etc. I can't come off my meds as I'm still not stable so I'm going to try my best to keep out of the cupboards and go to the gym 3 x a week
    I hope I can do this
    It certainly does in fact having had practically every AD pregablin was the worrst for me with regards to weight gain.

Now I just take 75 mg for nerve pain and have gained some weight and when I questioned this, my doctor said go for a daily brisk walk (and I am agroaphobic)

Quote Originally Posted by Lan69 View Post
    I hope I can do this
    How is the gym? Have you cleared your cupboards?

I have been back on the full 75mg dose for 2 days but I still feel awful. My anxiety is mounting as I expected to feel ok when I went back to the full dose. I'm no good at riding this through.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndy View Post
    go back up to 75mg and stabilize,buy a pill cutter off ebay they cost about 50p
    try again at a reduced dose but by splitting the tablets
    How long will it take me to stabilize again? I really cannot cope with this - shaking, sweats, sleeping. My anxiety is so high I can't rest when I am up. Very agitated.

Should take a few days,quetiapine works quite quickly.i suspect most of your anxiety is about dropping the dose and not withdrawal,that usually takes 2-3 weeks to rear its ugly head.Try and stay calm and get back on your normal dose until your in a better place to try and withdraw again

I still can't stabilize back on the full dose. I want to sleep all the time, am having shakes and panic attacks, nausea and dizziness. This is awful. I don't know what to do with myself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information