Thread: blood in phlegm?

blood in phlegm?

Hi All

Not posted in ages. Anxiety was better for a long time but worse again the last 6 months. I am 31 and have smoked since i was about 17. Not heavily unless I am on a night out. I know. Its stupid and i am obsessed with the fear of cancer.

Anyway i have had a sore throat and cold last week and had a heavy weekend so got a cough which has been quite bad the last couple of days. This morning my phlegm was mixed with a two tiny specks of red blood. Also yellow/green pleghm as well. I know this can be a sign of chest infection which I have had in the past but without blood. I have been quite anxious recently and actually made myself cough up phlegm by sticking my fingers down my throat a few weeks ago as thought i had blood then as would see blood when brushing my teeth but think it came from my gums.

Anyway i am just completely freaking out. I think i have probably just irritated my throat from coughing/vomiting issues. But my anxiety is just in overdrive and I am sitting here at work unable to focus on anything else almost crying. Just need some reassurance.. Please.. :(

Re: blood in phlegm?

You have definitely just irritated your throat from coughing, being sick, and even dry air can cause this.

Thanks but what if it is not? This could be the start of lung cancer. I have always been OBSESSED with the thought of coughing up blood ever since i was a small child. It is only tiny specks mixed with phlegm but sometimes feel like it would be easier to just run away from everything. The minute something nicer happens and i feel happy then my anxiety kicks in. It is like I am unable to ever allow myself to feel happy.

Sounds like you've irritated your throat especially sticking your fingers down there!!!! If it keeps happening you should see your gp

Thread Information