Thread: Face my panic anxiety or ignore it?

Face my panic anxiety or ignore it?

I have a panic disorder where when I am in a crowded room like a lecture I start to think about having a panic attack and then begin to panic. Usually when I'm sitting in class I can stop it by distracting myself or reassuring myself that I can just leave the room. However, in two weeks I have a presentation where I will be stood in front of the class for half an hour or more. The presentation itself is 10 minutes and I know I will be fine when presenting and my mind is focused on the topic, but when I'm listening to my partner or the class discussion after (and my mind is silent) I know I will start to think about panicking and I don't know whether I'll be able to stop it if I am stood in front of the class. I have spoken to my lecturer and he is happy to let me do a written assignment instead if I want to, but part of me thinks I should do the presentation because If I am able to stop myself from having a panic attack then I wont have that fear as much anymore. However, if I cant and I do have a panic attack (it would be my first one) then I know that will stay with me and probably make my anxiety worse because sitting in class I know I could have one. Does anyone have any advice about what I should do?

Re: Face my panic anxiety or ignore it?

I recently switched jobs and had to give a twenty minute presentation to a board of managers and directors.I was very anxious but had prepared properly and learnt the presentation off by heart.Prepare properly and go for it,once I was in my stride I actually enjoyed it
    Good luck I am sure you will be fine

Thread Information