Thread: My very first Endoscopy and i don't think i can do it :(

Unhappy My very first Endoscopy and i don't think i can do it :(

I think I have now officially read through every single post on here on endoscopies.

And I don’t feel even remotely better.

I have my endoscopy on 21st of this month and I am genuinely the most terrified I have ever been about anything.

I’ve never had any kind of invasive test before so this is honestly making me tremble I’m that scared.

My reflux is HORRENDOUS and it really is affecting my life and my wellbeing so I KNOW that I need to have it looked into.

But I can’t tell you how close I am to cancelling. I really don’t think I can go through with it.

I hate hospitals and any kind of tests. Any time I’ve had to go for further investigations I freak out.

I had to go for lung function tests in September – had a ridiculous panic attack in the hospital and felt like I was dying the whole time – floods of tears with the nurses creating a massive scene – and that was just blowing into a mouthpiece!!!!!!

I was the same over the last ultrasound I had too.

The risks are playing on my mind, the mouth numbing thing that I’m terrified will make me feel like my throat is closing up.

I can even picture me on the day already I will be a mess – and I can’t wriggle around and freak out because I’ll have a tube shoved down me.

I won’t do sedation – I hate feeling out of control it’s one of my major anxieties – I can’t even cope with having a glass of wine! Alcohol is an absolute no for me these days.

I’ve worked myself up into a state

Re: My very first Endoscopy and i don't think i can do it :(

You totally can do it!! Believe me, I understand your concerns. I somehow developed a fear of anything medical since having surgery over a year ago (and I have had 2 other surgeries prior to this with no problems!!) I have an issue with control and not being put out as well, but if you CAN...try the sedation! The medication they use today is SO different from what it was years ago. I was out for maybe 10 minutes?? And I seriously could have gone back to work that day... you wake up feeling totally normal. But I understand your concern and anxieties. I felt the exact same way.
    Take someone with you, and if you can gain the courage to allow them to relax you down just a little, you will do so much better.
    Best of luck- and know that it only lasts just a few minutes!

Hi Andromeda you sound just like me the doctor sent me for one and had 2 letters to go but not phoned yet, because i hate anyone messing about in my mouth and also watched you tube vids which has put me off.

Reason they sent me was because of my constant throat clearing which i hardly get any sleep with and drives me nuts.

Thought I'd come back to post that I went through with my endoscopy without sedation and I survived!

For anyone reading this who will be going through it, please know that it is not nearly as bad as you imagine.

It was not a pleasant experience whatsoever but the nurses were wonderful and it Was over in about 3 minutes so the horribleness was absolutely bearable for that amount of time.

I'm so proud of myself for going through with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    Thought I'd come back to post that I went through with my endoscopy without sedation and I survived!

For anyone reading this who will be going through it, please know that it is not nearly as bad as you imagine.

It was not a pleasant experience whatsoever but the nurses were wonderful and it Was over in about 3 minutes so the horribleness was absolutely bearable for that amount of time.

Hi did you just have your throat looked at or did they go all the way down ?

I can tell you now their is nothing to fear about this procedure absolutely nothing l

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post

Well done! I had one earlier this year with no sedation as well and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! Did you get the all clear then? How are things?

Hi,
    I am booked in for my first endoscopy (without sedation, fear of that just makes me even worse)tomorrow morning! Good to read some of the posts on here, vey reassuring. I wish people wouldn't write their horror stories though on some sites, it's really not helpful! We look to the Internet to allay our fears and I've read some really positive stuff here, so thank you! Anxiety absolutely through the ceiling, but managing to keep it together.... for now....
    Last edited by Jilly123; 13-08-16 at 10:02. Reason: Put wrong emoji

I had an endoscopy last year without sedation and whilst I panicked and gagged a little throughout (the gagging is totally normal as the scope is a foreign body that your stomach tried to reject) it wasn't as bad as I feared. I think I also immediately calmed down and breathed normally as soon as the doctor who was talking me through the whole thing said "it's all nice and normal" and when the scope was removed I cried with relief because I had worked myself into such a mess over the whole procedure.

Thread Information