Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you are suffering please read

Smile If you are suffering please read

I haven't been on here in a long long time, its been nearly 2 years since I was on this site every single day! I stumbled across some of my old posts recently and reading them made me remember how much this site helped me become me again. So, because of that I thought I'd post a quick update on how I am doing and hopefully give help and hope to other people.

My anxiety, depression and OCD began at a young age. I was diagnosed with OCD at around 13, with symptoms of anxiety and depression. These symptoms got worse and worse as I grew older, manifesting in my University years. To put it shortly, I was agraphobic, I couldn't move, eat at a dinner table, brush my teeth- anything. I was in constant panic, obsessing over every little thing my body did and what I now know was the nasty, nasty physical and mental symptoms of anxiety! Re-reading my old posts made me realise how bad I actually was- if you want to see the real success of this story, read those!

I received counselling for a short while 2 years ago and this helped me a lot. The counsellor was very good but unfortunately it just wasn't enough for me at the time. That's not to say that the counselling hasn't helped, I still reflect on how useful those times with my counsellor were and how much worse I would have been if I hadn't have gone!

I guess the real difference for me was starting sertraline (50mg). I have now been on this for a year and a half. I was terrified of starting- I put it off for nearly a year and only used this as a last resort. It took a while to kick in but the effects were amazing.

I am writing this sat in my new flat in Barcelona. I moved here in September to do a Masters degree- and you know what, (touch wood) I haven't had a single panic attack. I am me. I am no longer anxiety ridden me. I have gone from not being able to get out of bed to living in another country, where I unfortunately do not speak the language, doing a masters degree with all new people. If I was to tell myself this 2 years ago there is no way I would have believed it. I can leave the house without panic, I can do things that "normal" people do, and perhaps even have more confidence than "normal" people now.

That's not to say that the journey wasn't difficult. Anxiety is a horrible illness and the journey to recovery was never going to be easy. However, always remember it is possible and can happen. You can go back to being you. I know I'm always going to have the anxious thoughts, the OCD habits. I guess that is just part of me. What's difference is they no longer control me. I no longer define my self by my mental illness. I am living life and enjoying it. Never give up hope and always remember time is only temporary, things pass and things do get better.

Re: If you are suffering please read

It's brilliant to hear you've overcome anxiety and are doing so well. Take care x

So glad to read this positive story. You are right - symptoms do not last forever. Everything is temporary in the long run.

I know exactly what you mean about not being able to do anything including eating and brushing your teeth, I went to that horrible place too. Literally anything was triggering with my GAD & OCD, whether having a wash or sitting on the toilet it was a seriously difficult time. I have been agoraphobic twice and both times it has been due to starting medication and the second time is what sent me to this dark place with everything being a trigger.

Well done for getting through all that alone but to see the achievements you have made to allow you to take such big life changes is seriously good to hear.

I hope you continue to experience more success.

This is a really positive post and huge congratulations to you for overcoming so much! Also good to hear that sertraline has helped you in your road to recovery although I'm sure you put in all the hard work and determination to succeed yourself. It's a huge achievement!

well done and thankyou for sharing your story

well done to you!! this made me feel muh better, Im on 150mg this is week 12 for me and Im still having anxiety, how long did yours take to work for you? in all Ive taken sert for 6 months

Great to hear success stories. Gives me hope i can be one of them 1 day

hey thanks everyone for all your lovely comments!

Candy23- Its hard for me to say when they properly started working for me- it was very gradual and I can't pinpoint a time where it was "better". I still have anxiety now but I think the last nearly 2 years have just been making me feel better and better on sert.

thank you for inspiration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information