Thread: Do I have lung cancer?????!

Do I have lung cancer?????!

I'm 47 years old and a mother of 3 children nd I'm really scared that I may have lung cancer. I'm an ex-smoker of two years, I quit about a month ago and ever since, and about a few months before that I have had a cough. It used to be quite chesty and I used to bring nasty stuff up, this was worse when I quit. Not that much nasty stuff may I add.. so I'm thinking it may have been a smokers cough. That went away for about a week or two, or got better at least, but now the cough seems to be more frequent.. still not very frequent but it feels more frequent (about once or twice every 2-3 hours) and this time round its dry.. and I'm having to clear my throat a lot. I coughed last night too, but only once. Could this still be a smokers cough because I know I've done damage to my respiratory system.. but I feel like the smokers cough went and a lung cancer cough has been left behind..

I don't get out of breath and I havent coughed up blood (thank god)

I have been to the drs about this and she listened to my chest saying everything's fine.. but is it?

I have some questions..

a) Does it sound like lung cancer?

b) If lung cancer only causes symptoms in the later stages and coughing is a later stage symptom, would there be other symptoms too like getting out of breath or something?

c) Has anyone had any past experiences with lung cancer, with a family member of friend, and what were the symptoms like?

d) Could it still be a smokers cough even though I'm no longer coughing stuff up

e) If it were lung cancer, would the dr have heard anything abnormal?

f) Am I being irrational?

Thx

Re: Do I have lung cancer?????!

It could very well just be your body cleaning out the gunk from smoking.

Smoking is a horrible habit, and the after effects of smoking can take a long time to heal from. It takes 10 or more years for your body to get close to what it was before smoking so after one month I'm pretty certain this is just your lungs clearing out the mucus that is generated when smoking.

When you are still smoking the body can't heal itself as everytime it starts, you smoke again and it's back to square one. Once you stop, it can really get to work and start healing, I imagine that is what's going on right now - and it's a good thing, you shouldn't be worried about it, you should embrace it!

You've been to the doctor and they said everything was good. Keep an eye on it, and if symptoms get worse go back for another look but I think you're doing fine and your body is getting healthy again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifelonganxiety! View Post
    I'm pretty certain this is just your lungs clearing out the mucus that is generated when smoking.
    Nothing really comes up though that often but it does sometimes

The thing is though it seems to have gotten better but now it's getting worse than before.. it's not even that bad to be honest but still worse.. confused!

As an ex-smoker, I totally agree with the other response. I'm 3+ years out. It takes a while until your body repairs itself. It's "several" months until your lungs begin to improve.

See this timetable.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    As an ex-smoker, I totally agree with the other response. I'm 3+ years out. It takes a while until your body repairs itself. It's "several" months until your lungs begin to improve.
    So would you say that the odd cough is normal then? It certainly does seem to be improving because it's lost it's rough edge to it.. right after I gave up I was nearly choking in the mornings but now it's about 10 coughs a day, maybe even less.

I just coughed typing this..

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

If you do have Lung Cancer, do you generally just show one symptom or more?

If your not sob or coughing up blood then you can put your mind at ease as these are common symptoms of lung cancer. Yes a stethoscope would detect abnormalities in a lung cancer patient.

Quote Originally Posted by worried67 View Post
    I have been to the drs about this and she listened to my chest saying everything's fine..
    That's the best reassurance you can get right there.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Thanks everyone for the replies.

So we're positive that if anything were wrong, it would have been picked up by the doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by worried67 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

So we're positive that if anything were wrong, it would have been picked up by the doctor?
    Ok... one more and I'm out ...

You went to the doctor and were examined. What could someone on an internet forum of anxiety sufferers tell you that would be more qualified than a medical professional's opinion and experience? If you're that concerned, go back to the doctor or seek a second opinion.

Positive thoughts and congrats on quitting! That's HUGE!

Thread Information