Thread: Changing physical symptoms

Changing physical symptoms

Hi everyone,

I strained my lower back a while ago, went to the doctor and was told it would go away on its own. When it didn't I started worrying and had my first panic attack. After the panic attack my symptoms multiplied - I started having aches in my upper back, general tiredness, and lightheadedness. I went back to the doctor about a month ago and was told it was probably health anxiety (she was reluctant to diagnose as the symptoms hadn't been going on for very long). Since then I've been trying to calm myself down, and I've been feeling much better. But now I've started feeling other aches moving around my body - one day my legs hurt, then the next day my hand, and so on. I'm really worrying that something is wrong with me. Has anyone had any experience of changing symptoms? Should I go back to the doctor or keep working at eliminating my anxiety?

Thanks

Re: Changing physical symptoms

Keep working at your anxiety, if you need to visit your doctor for reassurance and support that's fine because you have identified that what is causing these symptoms is your health anxiety. Seek support for this. I suffer from this on and off and when i am i become hyper sensitive to any change or feeling in my body and that's what causes the change of symptoms.
    In terms of the back pain i recently learned there is a big link between anxiety/depression and back pain. I too have been suffering lower back pain the last couple of months on and off and researched this (awful habit with health anxiety!) and learnt that there was a strong link between the two due to tension. I think i damaged it due to my physical work activity (i'm a nurse) but the anxiety makes it worse/linger/flare up. And then worrying about the pain makes it worse too...vicious circle!

Thread Information