Thread: Can I get HIV from this?

Can I get HIV from this?

Hello,

I was in a friends car. I'm not sure on their HIV status. I had a few things in their car. For example, my cigarette fell on the ground of the car. If there was blood on the ground, or the seat belt, and i touched it and then put my finger or the cigarette to my mouth, could i contract hiv?

i am afraid that i can obtain by common contact by coming in contact with dried up blood or what have it.

Re: Can I get HIV from this?

Hi I used to work in an infectious disease dept.
    To cut a long story short it's highly unlikely you could contract job this way. hiv transmission is highly dependant on viral load. The infected person has the virus in there body and some days it will lie low and others it will be more active. It's only at the more active times that transmission would be likely. Hiv can survive for a short time in dried blood but it's dependant upon temperatures etc. A tiny speck of dried blood would not be considered high risk and let's just remember it needs to be contracted by sexual or blood to blood contact. Your friend who probably isn't positive would have to have s high viral load, you would have that tiny speck of blood on your cigarette which would then have to go directly into an open cut/ sore on your lip or mouth and even then it would be highly unlikely. Please don't worry too much about this. Testing is also very simple theses days some std clinics will test and give results while you're still in the building xxxx

Are you getting help for this fear? I ask because you've been posting about it for three years. Not discouraging you at all but each scenario is rather fantastic based on common knowledge about HIV transmission.

Perhaps revisiting your threads would be enlightening and give you some perspective as to your thought process when it comes to this. There's just nothing in any of your threads that would remotely be considered a serious risk.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Based on your scenario, I would say there's zero chance you came into contact with any HIV.

The most concerning issue in your post is the cigarette!

Thread Information