Thread: Propranolol question?

Propranolol question?

So I am not sure what to think about this medication. I do think it helps my anxiety and slows/regulates my heart rate especially if I am having a lot of ectopic beats. However, I have a couple questions...

This medication CAN be taken as needed?
    I have always heard that blood pressure meds should be taken at the same time every single day! And weaned off as well when stopping. What makes this med different than others?

Sometimes my blood pressure will be normal and my pulse will be in the low 60's, sometimes 50's! Is it still safe to take at those times? I feel like it is going to cause me to faint or something if I take it when my blood pressure is normal.

I have been prescribed 20mg up to 3 times daily by my psychiatrist who said to take it in place of ativan. I have been taking it about twice daily. My blood pressure runs a little high at the dr. but at home it is usually normal. I am taking it mainly for anxiety that revolves around ectopic heartbeats.

Re: Propranolol question?

Propranolol is used mainly to lower blood pressure and taken twice or three times a day depending on the dose, and can also help with anxiety but Propranolol IMO is not a substitute for Ativan which is purely for anxiety and to be used short term.

If your BP is generally on the low side,Propranolol shouldn't be taken.

A pulse rate of low 60's or 50 is acceptable but tending to be on the low side, so my advise would be to monitor that after a few weeks of taking Propranolol.

Thanks for your reply, I have been taking 10 mg as needed. 20 under certain circumstances. For instance, before a job interview I had last week.

20 mg, 3 times daily makes me feel very odd. My Psychiatrist told me that 10 mg isn't enough to do anything, but I beg to differ. The low dose seems to do something.

I used to take propanalol as needed when a panic attack was coming on. I think it was 40mg , but can't remember exactly. I was getting many panic attacks back then. Eventually, the GP suggested we try taking it every day in the morning in slow release form at 80mg a day. Since then, the amount of my panic attacks have fallen dramatically - I still have anxiety, particularly health anxiety (although this is a relatively new thing for me), but for actual panic attacks I would think I only get them now four or five times a year, if that.

How is this medication for blood pressure?
    My GP has mentioned it to me before as a preventative for migraines (I've had migraines 2-3 times a week for 15 years).
    I have around 85bpm resting heart rate, so it bringing that down can only be good. And since my anxiety started about 6 months ago, I'd also be happy if it helps with that.
    But I've always had low blood pressure. For the last few years it's been normal, but on the low side of normal.
    Does it bring blood pressure down drastically, or can I still take it?
    Surely not everyone taking this has high heart rate, high blood pressure and anxiety? There must be people who only have 1?

I was prescribed this to slow my heart rate down, when my Thyroid went overactive. I had a resting pulse of 126 bpm.
    I've heard of people taking it for fear of flying.
    I know if you suffer from asthma it can't be prescribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    How is this medication for blood pressure?
    My GP has mentioned it to me before as a preventative for migraines (I've had migraines 2-3 times a week for 15 years).
    I have around 85bpm resting heart rate, so it bringing that down can only be good. And since my anxiety started about 6 months ago, I'd also be happy if it helps with that.
    But I've always had low blood pressure. For the last few years it's been normal, but on the low side of normal.
    Does it bring blood pressure down drastically, or can I still take it?
    Surely not everyone taking this has high heart rate, high blood pressure and anxiety? There must be people who only have 1?
    It will have an affect on blood pressure and pulse rate. I don't take much so i do not notice it to significantly bring it down, but my psychiatrist also said they're other uses, such as management of migraines. My blood pressure is within normal range on it. I notice it affects my pulse rate more than blood pressure. I would say mention it to your dr, but if your blood pressure is lower normal, and you aren't having symptoms of low blood pressure, stick with it.

I mentioned it to my GP this morning and she was appalled other doctors had suggested it to me as I have low blood pressure. She said I should never take it, 'cause it would only affect me badly. She would also never suggest it to someone who might still want children, as you can't just come off them that easily. She said beta blockers are a last resort. So she prescribed me something else

once after eating a heavy meal, my resting heart rate
    was 100, so they gave me 20mg of propranolol.
    the heart rate dropped but i think along with
    that the blood pressure dropped aswell.
    after 2 hours and while i was standing up,
    i started feeling dizzy,i was full of cold sweat,
    and slowly things started getting black around me.
    the last sec before fainting i found a bed to lay down.
    as soon as i was on the bed my vision came back.
    i think i was seconds before fainting completly when
    i found the bed.
    anyway after few minutes on the bed i was normal again.
    i think propranolol caused my bp to drop,
    or it triggered something like vasovegal syncope!

Thread Information