Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lowering my dose due to night sweats & vivid dreams

lowering my dose due to night sweats & vivid dreams

As many of you know I've been taking 187.5mg of ven successfully for a while now but unfortunately I can't stand the night sweats and vivid dreams anymore, I wake twice a night absolutely sodden and shaking, this is my second time waking drenched tonight and I'm already having to sleep on a towel and flipped my duvet over as my sheets were wet through and I didn't want to wake my husband by changing them, I've seen my gp about them and he's done every blood test and sent me for a chest Xray to check nothing else was causing them and all was fine apart from me being slightly anaemic so I've decided from this morning I'm just going to take 150mg instead of my usual 150mg plus 37.5mg, I really can't carry on like this anymore, I'm exhausted due to the constant waking and the dreams are really unsettling me so I'm going to try and lower my dose and see how that goes. I've read all about ven withdrawal and in honestly it scares the life out of me but I can't tolerate these permanent side effects either anymore. Wish me luck XX

Re: lowering my dose due to night sweats & vivid dreams

Good luck with it, Nicola.

I think withdrawing form these meds carries a fair few worries for us anyway let alone one of the problem withdrawal meds.

It surely can't be as bad as the increase? I hope not. I've only ever come off Citalopram before but whilst I found it very hard to start it, coming off was a doddle but I was a lot better by then. You've been saying you are a lot more back to normal recently so thats a good sign and maybe this is just a little too strong now?

You could even split that pill and slow down the reduction couldn't you? Doctors do like to work in dosages that drug companies produce as opposed to patient need a lot of the time and don't think about halving doses to see how it helps or reduces any withdrawal or onset side effects.

Thanks Terry unfortunately I'm on the slow release and you can't split them plus I've got capsules too so it's impossible to split unless I want to count the beads which alot of people do but I don't really want to go down that road, I'll see how I go over the next few days and will have no choice but to reinstate if it's gets too bad but I am in a much better place now so fingers crossed and I can't tolerate these permanent side effects anymore, I can all but give it a shot!! XX

I didn't know they did the bead thing in Ven, I just thought it was Duloxetine. It is a pain if it's the same as mine there are hundreds of the tiny things and I remember reading that they need to be in capsules as they aggravate the throat otherwise.

It's really good to hear you are a lot better. I bet you thought that was many days off when you went through the hell of upping the dose before?! Pulisa told me her daughter struggled on mine and came off quite easily and I think she said she got her daughter off Ven completely over months and her daughter (I would think) would be quite attuned to side effects.

I'm thinking that it might be easier to come off the XL version. I know plenty of people, you included I think, have mentioned how the standard version is less tolerated. That must be due to the half life issue as the XL one is much longer so your blood plasma is at a more stable volume. I've been wondering about this with my med because it has a pretty short half life too and I've noticed how later in the day (I take it before bed) I will feel a fair bit better. So, if thats how it yours affects people hence they switch to the XL version, the withdrawal would seem more stable too.

Thanks Terry, I'm petrified to go back to that place I was in before but something has to give as these night sweats and dreams are taking their toll on me physically, I've read so many horror stories of ven withdrawal that I'm literally bricking it!!! XX

good luck Nicola,I came off sertraline because it upset my sleep I remember the night sweats well they were horrible
    Come off slowly and you will be ok

Well at 150mg as far as I know the Serotonin element of this med is maxed out so dropping down to 150mg is going to be more about epinephrine. You will still be experiencing the impact of that as it kicks on at 150mg from what I've read/seen. So, by reducing the dose it would mean your brain uses more of the available epinephrine and I would think that is much more tolerable than increasing it in the first place which ramps up things until you get used to it.

With it being more an adjustment, hopefully it will be low impact. Coming down all the way would seem the harder task or dropping a lot but it's so individual like them all and some people feel the smaller drops near the end and some feel the larger drops at the start - it's just such a minefield!

Nicola, I think the problems with ven withdrawal come with getting off the smaller doses and then dealing with the ven-free period without panicking and reinstating the drug. As you know my daughter is on the autistic spectrum and has severe anxiety/OCD. She came off venlafaxine over 6 months ago and has stayed off. If the drug is causing you this amount of distress and is producing such side effects then there is no point in remaining on such a strong drug which is doing you no favours.

You may find that the night sweats reduce in intensity as you lower your dose? You may be more comfortable to remain on a lower dose if this is the case? I think you've just got to give it a go. Everyone reacts differently and you could withdraw completely with few problems. To be honest my daughter's anxiety can be of such high intensity anyway that it's hard to say whether it was withdrawal or her norm. I'm used to living with her intense anxiety.

I really wish you all the very best with this and please keep us posted? xx

Thankyou everyone for all your help and support, I'll keep you posted how I go XX

I have a close friend on 50mg and he does just fine on it,like others have said you may do better on a lower dose anyhow
    Good luck we are here to support you

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information