Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was doing really well, until anxiety hit me from nowhere

Was doing really well, until anxiety hit me from nowhere

Been doing really well lately, went in Bath, feeling relaxed reading book when all of a sudden I get palpitations, started to panic, felt like I couldn't breathe.
    Calmed down a bit now after a quick call to my Mam, why does this happen? Why does it just come from no where, I'm used to anxiety that I've created in my mind by dwelling, catastrophising and googling, but I don't like this type that comes from nowhere and scares the living daylights out of me and ruined a perfectly good bath.
    I do think I'm suffering some kind of digestion issues but I've been able to rationalise these with some thorough talking to myself and a large bottle of gaviscon.
    Maybe I've laid down too soon after my tea, who knows?
    I'm determined not to let it ruin xfactor and writing this has strangely made me feel a little better.
    Xxx

Re: Was doing really well, until anxiety hit me from nowhere

It's like I've posted several times on the forum. Your anxiety is like a campfire. The flames may die down but you still have hot coals burning in the embers. The palps were more fuel and BAM... the fire of an anxiety attack. It takes a long time for the hot coals of anxiety to completely cool off.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks FMP, it just gets frustrating when I'm trying so hard, I understand what you're saying though and I can't just expect it all to be over because I've said so, I'm just bloody impatient.
    Xxx

Hi hun

It does the same thing to me. Comes out of nowhere, usually when relaxing like you were.

Great attitude that you let it be there and didn't let it ruin your night. Big hugs.

B xx

Don't let it get you down too much. Tomorrow is a new day, you'll probably start feeling well again.

It can take a long time to recover. Don't let momentary setbacks discourage you.

You can get similiar physical sensations from many things and when this happens your subconscious can find anxiety as a possible response. I found any level of excitement and I was worried it would spill over into anxiety or panic.

A large part of these disorders exists in the associations that have been made in our subconscious. We have to "mothball" those associations and until you do, things like this happen where a similiar sensation starts off some symptoms and then it reaches the conscious mind to decide what to do.

It's just how the brain works. If you panic in a certain place, it can store location data in the associations and try to make it happen again. Many people have had problems in supermarkets and going back in them causes it to start again until you can expose yourself enough to get beyond it. Getting beyond it isn't just about the exposure, it's about your subconscious creating new associations (or reviving old ones) that this is not an anxious situation hence the old negative ones get mothballed.

Thanks everyone, that makes sense Terry, after my operation, I couldn't go in Bath as it was open wound healing, so showers only, I've only just started going back in after 10 weeks, so perhaps I've subconsciously made a negative association.
    I love my bath, and I'll be damned if I let anxiety take that away from me. So I'll just get back in tonight.
    Had a good night despite that experience, slept until my alarm went off so feel ready to fight the day.
    Bonni, I've done a deal with myself to not feed the anxiety, if I don't play it's game then it has little fuel. I'm still in early stages, but googling is banned, as is visiting my gp unless my arm is hanging off. Hope you're feeling better hun, I know you've had a rough time lately.
    Xxx

Then it sounds like you are already half way to beating it, Tracey. Wanting to do things is the best way as we choose to do them as opposed to feeling forced when all the shoulds come into play and pile more pressure on us.

It could even just be a sensation thing if you are sensitive to physical symptoms. You can beat it though, it's just a re-learning process.

The prospect of an hour of Simon Cowell would also give me the heebie-jeebies!

Sorry, I know it's no joke. Good on you for powering through!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    The prospect of an hour of Simon Cowell would also give me the heebie-jeebies!

Sorry, I know it's no joke. Good on you for powering through!
    Especially if he got in the bath with you! (it would need to be very big for him to get in on his own ).

The Speakmans coined Cowellaphobia didn't they for that woman who wtn mad everytime he came on the TV. Doesn't sound so rare to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information