Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tooth Extraction With Diazepam

Tooth Extraction With Diazepam

Hi all,

I am going to the dentist tomorrow for a tooth extraction which I'm really nervous. I'm on Amoxicillin due to the infection and I'm really fearing a few things like the local anesthetic not working, prolonged bleeding or post op infection. :(

My GP has prescribed me 4x 5mg diazepam tablets for my nerves and I'm planning on taking 1 tonight, another when I get up and 2 right before I leave tomorrow lunch time. Could anyone let me know if this will take my jitters away as I'm very anxious at the moment with more than a day to go? Also anyone experienced a tooth extraction with sedation or general anesthetic? How was the experience???

Re: Tooth Extraction With Diazepam

As you are already on Amoxicillin you need have no fear of a further infection after the extraction as that is the purpose of the anti biotic.
    You don't say if you have taken diazepam before but nevertheless 20 mg over under 24 hours should definitely calm you if not make you go to sleep and I doubt very much you would be given a general anesthetic.

The dentist will ensure the local anesthetic has taken effect before he/she starts. I had to have a second set once as I could still feel something when he poked the area. That stuff works very quickly but sometimes another dose is needed.

Prolonged bleeding is not something to worry about as they will ensure everything has been done correctly. Putting something in that area will help it clot up so they will likely give you something which you keep in for so long afterward. Mine gave out a "do's & don'ts" sheet which was a first on me. If there were any problems, dentists are excellent for getting people back in unlike GP's. But it's highly unlikely you would ever need this anyway as this is something they do loads of times each day with no issues.

You can do it. I had to have a broken wisdom tooth out at the height of my relapse when the meds were giving me loads of problems with side effects. I managed the first 2 check ups and couldn't cope with the extraction so re-arranged that (I had been up all night over it) but on the next time a week or so later I forced myself there and was surprised how I handled it. It wasn't pleasant but using a distraction technique I managed to get through it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. I have had diazepam before but it was a long time ago and was surprised I got 5mg rather than 2mg. Dreading tomorrow but looking forward to once it has healed and I should start feeling a bit better.

My mom always has diazepam before she visits the dentist because she is terrified,she said it really helps
    Good luck

5mg will def relax you and will help you get to sleep.
    It is a very good idea faking a the 5mg first thing as thus will relax you and stop anxiety building up.
    For me, one more 5mg would be more than enough before the actual extraction, but were all different and you have the luxury of having extra.
    I do think you will be 'very relaxed'. So hope you have someone going with you to look after you.
    Good luck.
    Let us know how it goes x

Well it all went horribly, I missed times the diazepam doses so was very panicky. When I got there they were lovely and numbed me up before going to the waiting room. Upon teetering the surgery they tested how numb I was which wasn't nearly enough and kept using yet more anethesic which still didn't work! She tried to pry the tooth several times but each time I had to stop her due to how much pain I was in and she said there was nothing else she could do.

She blamed the anxiety but I've had tooth extractions before and never felt pain like this and now I'm home I'm barely numb still but in a lot of pain from where she has disturbed the tooth. She said it could be due to how long the infection has been there and has referred me to the local dental hospital for sedation to carry out the work but there is a 6-8 week waiting list! My only other option is to pay £350 plus extraction cost to have it out privately. So now I'm really worried about repercussions during the wait such as swelling, infection spreading etc.

Also has anyone had sedation for dental work, will I feel the pain at all?

Hiya, sorry it didn't go well today. I had it sedation for my wisdom tooth last year. Don't have a clue what was in it, possible diazepam. All I remember was being sat in the chair and she slowly pushed the syringe so more went into my blood stream, she did that about three times and the next thing I remember is walking out of the room repeatedly telling her I was allergic to amoxicillin. I had no recollection whatsoever! I brought my dad with me which was good as he helped me walk to the car and drove me home. I was a bit tired after but was feeling more normal by the time I got home. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    Well it all went horribly, I missed times the diazepam doses so was very panicky. When I got there they were lovely and numbed me up before going to the waiting room. Upon teetering the surgery they tested how numb I was which wasn't nearly enough and kept using yet more anethesic which still didn't work! She tried to pry the tooth several times but each time I had to stop her due to how much pain I was in and she said there was nothing else she could do.

She blamed the anxiety but I've had tooth extractions before and never felt pain like this and now I'm home I'm barely numb still but in a lot of pain from where she has disturbed the tooth. She said it could be due to how long the infection has been there and has referred me to the local dental hospital for sedation to carry out the work but there is a 6-8 week waiting list! My only other option is to pay £350 plus extraction cost to have it out privately. So now I'm really worried about repercussions during the wait such as swelling, infection spreading etc.

Also has anyone had sedation for dental work, will I feel the pain at all?
    I am really sorry it all went wrong for you.it is unusual that having already started the anti biotics which usually take 48 to kick in and that you had several injections that you were still in pain.Not being able to extract the tooth is feasable but not usual, in fact teeth extraction is quite a simple procedure for a dentist.

I really don't know what to suggest but I would add that however anxious you might have been that doesn't really relate to the pain not subsiding.

Thanks for the advice guys, I went to another dentist this evening for a 2nd opinion and he mentioned that sometimes the fibres of the bacteria can stop the local anethesic from work and also said he can book me an appointment tomorrow evening to have it out under sedation called Midazolam for a princely £400!!! But I would be pain and worry free!!!

He also prescribed me some stronger antibiotics called Clindamycin so here's a what would you do question... Pay up and have it out or try the antibiotics and then attempt another routine extraction in a few days in hope it clears out enough of the infection to numb the area? I'm at an absolute loss with this and it is really stressing me out :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information