Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Third lot of antibiotics and still have wheezing in lungs

Third lot of antibiotics and still have wheezing in lungs

Been to the walk in clinic today as my chest infection isn't clearing up. Still coughing and my glands are up.
    This is my third week of suffering and doctor thinks I've developed pleurisy as I have a sharp pain in my side.

She listened to my lungs and said she can hear "wheezing" on both of my lungs. I have no temperature and my throat is clear. Also my oxygen level (used finger clip) is 99% so I assume that's very good.
    I'm very bunged up and my sinuses are running all the time. I had green snot this morning (sorry for tmi)

I've had amoxillican and doxycycline. I've now been prescribed an inhaler (which I'm scared of taking) and clarithromycin to take twice a day.

I'm terrified I have something terminal - I know that a symptom of congestive heart failure is wheezing on the lungs from fluid + shortness of breath.
    I'm also scared of COPD and emphysema.

Someone please advise/reassure me :(

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Bumping this up as I'm terrified, can feel healthy anxiety coming back worse than ever

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Third lot of antibiotics and still have wheezing in lungs

Sorry you are having such a difficult time :( I have a lot of chest problems that often get worse due to asthma. I am off work at the moment and on amoxicillin and prednisolone as I have a chest infection.

I know how scary it can be having these thoughts. It is almost heartbreaking as well when these thoughts come back when we've been doing so well with our health anxiety.

Why are you scared to take the inhaler? If it puts your mind at ease I once had a terrible chest, some years back when I wasn't managing my asthma. Anyway to cut a long story short I saw the dr who gave me a steroid inhaler and my symptoms cleared pretty quickly.

I am using something called a salt pipe at the moment. You can get them for 15 quid from Holland and Barrett or buy them online. The idea is you breath in air that comes through the salt and its supposed to help thin mucus and clear your airways. I've been using mine for a few days now and it has helped a little, so maybe give that a try

Hope you are feeling better soon and remember, you aren't alone! You have felt better from HA before and this is just a blip. You will get through this xx

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake293 View Post
    Sorry you are having such a difficult time :( I have a lot of chest problems that often get worse due to asthma. I am off work at the moment and on amoxicillin and prednisolone as I have a chest infection.

I know how scary it can be having these thoughts. It is almost heartbreaking as well when these thoughts come back when we've been doing so well with our health anxiety.

Why are you scared to take the inhaler? If it puts your mind at ease I once had a terrible chest, some years back when I wasn't managing my asthma. Anyway to cut a long story short I saw the dr who gave me a steroid inhaler and my symptoms cleared pretty quickly.

I am using something called a salt pipe at the moment. You can get them for 15 quid from Holland and Barrett or buy them online. The idea is you breath in air that comes through the salt and its supposed to help thin mucus and clear your airways. I've been using mine for a few days now and it has helped a little, so maybe give that a try

Hope you are feeling better soon and remember, you aren't alone! You have felt better from HA before and this is just a blip. You will get through this xx
    Scared of taking inhaler because of side effects like shaking and heart rate. Does it cause really nasty symptoms?

I just tried to do it but found it really difficult to do as I've never done it before.

Thanks for your post, really helpful.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Can anyone else offer advice or help?

- Emily Brontė

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAfraid23 View Post
    Scared of taking inhaler because of side effects like shaking and heart rate. Does it cause really nasty symptoms?

I just tried to do it but found it really difficult to do as I've never done it before.

Thanks for your post, really helpful.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Can anyone else offer advice or help?
    The best advice was from the doctor...Take the medication and use the inhaler as directed. Get rest and keep yourself hydrated.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Does anyone think it sounds like COPD or heart failure?

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    The best advice was from the doctor...Take the medication and use the inhaler as directed. Get rest and keep yourself hydrated.

Positive thoughts
    Thanks. I really don't want to use anymore antibiotics �� I don't have a fever and my lung capacity is 99%

- Emily Brontė

Does anyone think it sounds like COPD or heart failure?

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Thanks. I really don't want to use anymore antibiotics �� I don't have a fever and my lung capacity is 99%
    I just want to be clear in what I'm reading. You're thinking this is heart related (which it's not) and are not going to take the medication?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I just want to be clear in what I'm reading. You're thinking this is heart related (which it's not) and are not going to take the medication?

Positive thoughts
    I'm worried it's heart related because of the lung congestion and I know this can be a symptom of heart failure.
    Also I've put on weight recently and I know this is another symptom.

I'm worried about taking yet more antibiotics and this particular one is very strong and can cause long qt syndrome. I know I shouldn't have looked it up but I did :(

I'm going to see my own GP on Friday so hopefully I can talk to her about it and explain how I don't see why I need antibiotics when I don't have a temperature and no proper signs of infection.
    I tried using the inhaler, not much success :( all ended up on my tongue and back of my throat...!
    Try again tomorrow when I'm calmer. Was stressing out majorly.

I'm thinking of trying more natural remedies...echinachea, ginger and garlic...these are naturally antibiotics and can help upper respiratory symptoms.

- Emily Brontė

I don't see why I need antibiotics when I don't have a temperature and no proper signs of infection.
    Been to the walk in clinic today as my chest infection isn't clearing up. Still coughing and my glands are up....

She listened to my lungs and said she can hear "wheezing" on both of my lungs.... I'm very bunged up and my sinuses are running all the time. I had green snot this morning
    Wheezing, glands being up, green snot are all signs of some kind of infection. That and you saying your chest infection isn't clearing up! Certainly you can wait until you see your doctor as two days shouldn't make or break whatever is happening but recommending anything else outside a medical professional's advice would be irresponsible.

Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 25-11-15 at 21:53.

Yes, some inhalers do cause the jitters. I know the worry, I've been through this one myself. I stopped taking my asthma medication due to this and another fear and the result was a mild asthma attack. Whilst this won't happen to you if you don't take it, it will mean your breathing can be suffering when it need not do.

If you struggle to use the inhaler, which is very common in asthma sufferers, they can give you a mouthpiece which fits to the end which removes the problem and timing or you can have a "breath actuated" version which will fire the dosage when you breath in. Take a short strong in breath and hold it though, slow in breaths are not as effective.

I get jitters off my reliever inhaler something rotten. I dont like taking it cause the feeling it gives me sometimes feels like anxiety, but over time I have gotten used to it and have trained my brain to accept it.

Definitely listen to your doctor and take your inhaler. If you are worried about any side effects speak to the doctor and they will put your mind at rest.

Natural remedies are really good. I am getting on well with my salt pipe. I also take aloe vera gel in the morning and take ginger tea. Ginger is really good for respiratory issues. Of course, they are no substitute for prescribed medication from your gp and should only really be used as complimentary therapy.

Rest will do you the world of good. When my HA has been rock bottom and I wasnt able to sleep or still even it would make me feel worse.

Full sympathy to you, I understand. I hope you feel better tomorrow morning xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information