Thread: Cymbalta and magnesium..

Cymbalta and magnesium..

Hi just wondering if anyone has taken magnesium while on cymbalta??. I read up that there is a minor interaction between them. But it didn't say what or how they interact..

Re: Cymbalta and magnesium..

Yes, I've been using transdermal since January with no additional issues and believe me I would know if there was an interaction as the side effects of this med have never stopped for me and I've been on it years. Part of my anxiety is supplements too so I have been slowly exposing myself to them to beat this and I would notice a change.

The thing is though, magnesium is an essential mineral thus you have to take it in your diet as over 300 processes need it to function. It's in your food.

What was the information? Was it about dosage or specific types of magnesium?

It didn't go into detail. Just there was minor interactions.. A bit annoying really. I took a 250 mg tablet of magnesium and I never noticed anything different.. I have appoint with my Dr soon so will ask.. It did say magnesium oxide though. Which is the one I have.. When I can afford it with b swapping to the spray.

I see what you mean as I can see oxide with a minor interaction on Drugs.com. No detail though but doesn't seem to suggest much of an issue.

Oxide is a cheaper form so it's in a lot of the supermarket generic ones. When it hits the water in your stomach it changes into another form of magnesium which you will probably know as Milk of Magnesia. Oxide and what it turns into can affect your GI at certain volumes.

The transdermal (chloride) has no interaction. I checked Citrate too, another cheaper form like oxide, and that doesn't have an interaction.

I guess it would mean a bit of Googling to understand what the issue is as Drugs.com hold no info but this would suggest it's perhaps not much of anything.

Worth asking your GP is unsure although they may not know in which case a pharmacist might if you pop in your pharmacy. Pharmacists tend to know more about drug interactions anyway and GP's can be a bit patchy when it comes to vitamins & minerals.

Yes I didn't notice any interaction with any other magnesium.. My doc checked and nothing popped up on his computer.. He told me I should get checked for magnesium deficiency.. Before I took it.. He wasn't much help really..

---------- Post added at 01:41 ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 ----------

My pharmacist didn't know anything about it helping anxiety either.

Some useful magensium threads for you:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...ight=magnesium
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...38#post1452038

I use Drugs.com a fair bit to look things up and for them to have a Minor one with nothing there seems to me to be of little importance as they normally would have information.

Also, magnesium is a bit confusing anyway because what counts is "elemental" magnesium. The form we take it in doesn't deliver that at the dosage you are taking because it has been altered to that new form. You should be able to find this out by looking for the atomic weight of the form of magnesium you are using.

It is explained better here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87791.html

Elemental Magnesium

The supplementation amounts suggested in the guide pertains to elemental magnesium. A supplement will usually have both the total amount of magnesium and the amount of its chelation on the front of the supplement. The elemental magnesium amount is found on the back of the supplement . This is the amount of actual magnesium you are getting when you take the supplement.

If on the front of the supplement it says that 4 capsules are 2,000 mg of magnesium malate, and on the back of the supplement it says that you are getting 400 mg of magnesium, then the 400 mg is the elemental amount of magnesium you are assimilating. This also means that you will be receiving 1,600 mg of malic acid when you ingest the supplement as well. So out of that 2,000 mg of magnesium malate, 1,600 mg is made up of malic acid, and the other 400 mg of it is the elemental magnesium in the supplement.

I know from another member on here that in Canada they do have to publish the elemental value but I've seen many magnesium products in the UK that don't so I don't believe we have the same rule. Some products sold over here do though and specifically mention elemental on the label. Some transdermal don't but some do. It's a pain really as people think they are getting what is in the dose in terms of magnesium and they really aren't. I've seen some where it delivers hardly any magnesium in one or two of the amino acid chelated ones.

This one is useful and gives an example using oxide:

https://www.paleohacks.com/magnesium...agnesium-17726

Mineral supplements are mostly salts - consisting of the cation (usually what you're interested in) and an anion partner. Cations are positively charged; anions are negatively charged. You only care about the cation, and not the anion, so the anion essentially becomes a filler. Consider Magnesium Orotate. It has a molecular weight of 334.482. Magnesium has a molecular weight of 24.31. So the % Mg in Magnesium orotate is just 7%. So every 100 mg of magnesium orotate has just 7 mg of useful Mg!

Consider Magnesium oxide now. Molecular weight of 40.30, so 60% Mg by mass. 100 mg of magnesium oxide has 60 mg magnesium.

I would guess that if you took Mg oxide with a meal, you'd get closer to 10% absorption (30 mg out of a 500 mg tablet). Essentially the same you get from 500 mg of Mg orotate. Orotate helps you absorb nearly all the Mg prsent, but it's takes a lot of bulk to do so. I'd venture a guess that the other forms of magnesium are in line with these two. Essentially out of 500 mg of Mg salt, you get about 30 mg of Mg taking into account counterions and pharmacokinetic absorption profiles.

Your GP is just doing the GP thing and looking for defiency when you are not only looking at that but at how increasing on top of a normal range could help with mental health. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Millions of people take these products without having the elusive magnesium tests that GP's won't even want to do and they are all fine.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 28-11-15 at 05:49.

I didn't bother to book the test. I'm only taking 250 mg anyway. And as it didn't actually list any interaction symptoms I will carry on taking them.. Thanks for the links.

Can I just jump in and ask why so many people take magnesium and what have been the benefits? I'm interested to know the full range of supplements that people take and whether people noticed a day fervency. Mine is headaches and general anxious feelings so would magnesium be good for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Blonde123 View Post
    Can I just jump in and ask why so many people take magnesium and what have been the benefits? I'm interested to know the full range of supplements that people take and whether people noticed a day fervency. Mine is headaches and general anxious feelings so would magnesium be good for this?
    Magnesium is an essential mineral, you can't live without it. 300+ processes in the body use it and stress is a known factor in decreasing the levels your body holds, as are various meds.

I can't speak for anxiety as I haven't found helpful effects yet although if you look through some of the thread I posted you will see some people on here who have. I can say it has helped my joints & muscle pain issues though. Applying it makes a quick change and even after using it for over a year I still get some days where it stings. This indicates a localised deficiency, and considering how long I've taken it (and how it has been helping) this only tells me I'm not taking enough as even those areas are slipping back into deficiency. On this basis, I believe it's most probably why I've seen no change to anything anxiety related because I'm still not getting enough and my physical problems are taking that up after the essential processes have taken what they need.

In doing some research for my own needs I have seen people talk about how they rub it on their heads for migraines and it helps them so it would be worth a look for that alone I reckon.

The Ancient Minerals website is pretty good for information. There is a also a woman, I think she is a doctor (not sure which kind), who has a website about it all as she wrote books on the subject (The Magnesium Miracle?) and the Mercola site is usually very good for information, as is ExamineSupplements. The latter includes more technical info and details of clinical trials and you will find this site useful for other supplements too.

Thread Information