Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polyps

polyps

Hi, after having a dysfunctional bleed which lasted two months, i had a scan which found polyps in my uterus and a cyst on my ovary. Told its common and not to worry, but im now waiting to see GP to discuss results and I am getting pretty stressed out, imagining all sorts. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar thing and can calm me down. Thanks for reading

Re: polyps

Hi tracie, I haven't got polyps but have had recurring ovarian cysts for a few years. My first one formed and then had disappeared at the follow up ultrasound :unsure I had two discovered one on each ovary last year at a pelvic ultrasound, the scan was for a period that lasted weeks. I know my doctor has left my cysts for now unless they start causing me issues. They were confirmed as simple cysts. I was assured that they can tell the difference between cysts and something worse straight away. I'm sure it will be fine. Hope you are OK. X

Red face Re: polyps

Thank you for the reply, I fear having another operation, so im hoping it will all be ok.

Hi Tracie,

I have multiple cysts on my ovaries, but not the full blown polycystic ovary syndrome (apparently) The doctors I have seen are not fussed about it at all, and as you mention, say that many, many women have the same thing, and only become aware of it when they have a scan, or are exhibiting symptoms. I was having very long cycles and spotting between periods, had a transvaginal scan and they told me.

A couple of years ago I was having spotting again and that time I was told I also have a polyp in my uterus. I ended up having a hysteroscopy without any anaesthetic, and the polyp was removed.

As far as I am aware, small polyps do not necessarily have to be removed, and may go on their own. As far as the cysts on your ovary go, 99.9% of the time they do nothing about them, as most cysts resolve on their own....it is only the ones that stick around and grow and cause issues that they worry about, so do try not to be too concerned about these problems.xx

Smile Re: polyps

Thank you Debs71, that's reassuring. I think I will probably have to have the hysteroscopy as im constantly spotting, but good to hear that you didn't need anaesthetic. Did you stop spotting after? Feel so much better after being reassured by both replies today. Thank you

Yes just following on from what debs said both my sister and myself have been told to take the watch and wait approach with cysts. He said that unless they are big enough to be causing serious problems it's normal to leave them. I worried to about having an op but apart from a bit of pain now and again they don't really bother me. Glad you are feeling a bit better .

Quote Originally Posted by tracie126 View Post
    Thank you Debs71, that's reassuring. I think I will probably have to have the hysteroscopy as im constantly spotting, but good to hear that you didn't need anaesthetic. Did you stop spotting after? Feel so much better after being reassured by both replies today. Thank you

No worries at all!

Yep, I was originally supposed to have it under local, but the doctor who perfomed it said she deemed it unnecessary. The only thing I felt was a very slight pain when the actual removal was being done, but before and after that it was just fine.

It was amazing actually. The doctor said that my next period would probably all go out of whack due to the procedure. You do bleed for a bit afterwards also, but actually I got my period more or less when it was due, and since the procedure I have had no spotting, no pains, a 30-33 day cycle which is my normal and all is good. x

I have similar problems, a lot of bleedings and so on, this month I will wait until after my period and then my gynae is going to look for polyps.

I am worried about cancer but he told me not to worry after he did a scan. Do you think I can trust him? The lining was 9 mm and he said he must wait until it's thinner so he can see if there are polyps.

Quote Originally Posted by justina View Post
    I have similar problems, a lot of bleedings and so on, this month I will wait until after my period and then my gynae is going to look for polyps.

I am worried about cancer but he told me not to worry after he did a scan. Do you think I can trust him? The lining was 9 mm and he said he must wait until it's thinner so he can see if there are polyps.
    Hi Justina,

I was also very worried about that, but my doctor said that in 99.9% of uterine polyps, they are benign, so I am sure that you will just fine. I would trust what he says. He sees a lot of the same issues and he will know what is a worry and what is not.

All the best and good luck.x

Reading these messages is reassuring, I feel less alone. My health anxiety has kicked in as I have an ultrasound on Monday to check and see if there are any structural things causing irregular bleeding - or it will be the perimenopause! I am nervous of the exam, what they might say or not say on the day and the wait to hear or see my GP. I am just convinced they will find something and more tests and possible operation.

I realise I am jumping the gun big style - I just find it a real struggle not to equate an investigation to meaning something is wrong. So nervous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information