Thread: 20 y.o with bright red blood in stool

Thumbs down 20 y.o with bright red blood in stool

Basically I've had a very bad last few months with my health anxiety. I'm 20 years old and for around a year, I have had bright coloured blood appear on the toilet paper when going for a number two. For some reason (I literally have no idea), I chose to ignore this for a long while and it didn't cross my mind to go to the doctors. Then, around 4 months ago, I managed to convince myself I had testicular cancer after reading an article about how to correctly examine yourself. I realised I never had and so immediately got worried. I then started to feel a lot of pain in the groin region. I went to docs, had an ultra sound, countless examinations of down there and finally a blood test which all came back normal. The pain even stopped after this final all clear. As I had also mentioned my rectal bleeding in the initial doctors session, an appointment with a colorectal doctor was made. Whilst waiting for this appointment (takes up to 6 weeks on the NHS) I noticed that an ulcer in my mouth wasn't getting better (I had previously ripped it to shreds with my teeth through panic). This lead me to believe I may have some form of mouth cancer. This was looked at by my doctor who immediately ruled that out and diagnosed it as a cyst. I then went to my colorectal appointment were I was examined for haemorrhoids. This came back as all clear, providing me with no explanation of the bleeding, so I was then put in for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. Needless to say that in the 6 weeks wait for this procedure I went through hell, constantly depressed and fatigued by the idea that I may have bowel cancer, despite the endless reassurances from my doctors that it is very very rare at my age. I had the test which again came back as normal findings, still leaving me with no explanation for the blood.*

Since the procedure 4 weeks ago, I haven't managed to let go of the idea that I may be seriously ill. I still get bright coloured red blood on the tissue, some days a lot more than others (A.k.a tonight, prompting this post). I now also see that there are little hard black specks in my stool like coffee grains or pepper. I read up on this and have seen that a lot of people put this down to food not being digested properly or seeds or pepper remaining in the stool. I know this can't be the reason as I'm a student and don't eat any particular food consistently at all. I've even tried to cut out pepper and spices and certain things that may cause it to make sure, and it's still always there. I went to the doctors again about this as I thought it may be dark blood. He assured me that if there was dark blood, it would turn my entire stool a plum colour. Although this gave me some reassurance, it's again left me without an answer. Now, every time I go to the toilet, i'm seeing both bright coloured blood and these black specks. I took the opportunity to ask if the Flexible Sigmoidoscopy would account for all light coloured blood and he said it would which confused me more as nothing was found.*

I can really say that I've tried to hold off posting here as i'm worried about what might be said to me. I really hope I'm overacting massively but on the time scale for appointments in the UK, these thoughts are just left to linger and it's getting to a point now where I need real answers. I've got another appointment with the doctor who did the flexible sigmoidoscopy, but not until January which is a long time to not know what's going on. As far as i'm aware, they didn't seem at all worried (using sentences like 'We've got another appointment booked for you in 6 weeks to discuss what else we can do if anything'.

I dont know if any of the pains I feel in my stomach are real anymore or just a product of my anxiety. I loose sleep because of achy joints but again I don't know if this is in my head. I've been drinking lots and lots of water and trying to stick to a high fiber diet but none of this seems to be helping.

If anyone has experienced anything similar or has any thoughts I would really appreciate it. I'm really worried about all of this and I just want to get back to living my life.

Thanks, Liam
    Last edited by liamliam; 27-11-15 at 22:31.

Re: 20 y.o with bright red blood in stool

Hi Liam - did you ever get to the bottom of this? No pun intended!
    I'm going through the same thing at the moment with the rectal bleeding with no real explanation, haven't had a colonoscopy yet but doc says if isn't better in 6 weeks then this is next step.
    Interested to see how you got on as I am also similar age to you

Re: 20 y.o with bright red blood in stool

Hey bro, I'm going through the same fear although i might have seen blood once but idk if it was the red sauce i had the night before haven't seen it again I nearly fainted when i first saw it. I'm 20 aswell if you want to talk shoot me a message

Thread Information