Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term klonopin

Long term klonopin

Hi

Is anybody here on klonopin long term at any dose? I first started taking it over a decade ago. I pretty much use it on an as required basis now but also take a daily maintenance dose of 0.5mg.
    As you can imagine in certain situations I need to take a much higher dose as I do also suffer from social anxiety amongst other things.

Thanks

Tims

Re: Long term klonopin

Me too. But only two years.

What daily dose are you taking?

Tims

Just 1 mg, but I can take it prn too. Sometimes I might take 3 mg in a day

Quote Originally Posted by Tims View Post
    Hi

Is anybody here on klonopin long term at any dose? I first started taking it over a decade ago. I pretty much use it on an as required basis now but also take a daily maintenance dose of 0.5mg.
    As you can imagine in certain situations I need to take a much higher dose as I do also suffer from social anxiety amongst other things.

Thanks

Tims
    Pretty much the same length of time as me though I have been reduced only from 8mg to 6mg/day. Clonazepam used as a prophylactic is not really suitable for prn use. Blood plasma levels are crucial - for prn you would be far better off with an acute drug, my pfeferred being alprazolam for full blown issue and bromazepam (Alkaloid LEXILIUM made under Roche licence is better than original Roche Lexotan & a whole bunch cheaper!).
    Unfortunately Roche have withdrawn Rivotril in the UK because the NHS is demanding pharmacists now dispense the cheapest generic - Auden McKenzie feels a lot weaker and I have noticed an increase in anxiety level so now buy at great cost the Roche Suisse product and fund it by selling my crap generic to someone that the doc has refused to prescribe any more than 2 x 500mcg daily...
    There is also a push hete for the ceasing of BZD prescribing all together based on studies claiming one's life can be shortened by up to 5 years in BZD users as opposed to those who never take them. I have indicated that is a non-starter with me and as yet they have not breached the subject further... I told them I would simply buy online anyway as I do with my favoured analgesic, Palfium - now sold ONLY in Netherlands.
    Nothing else except perhaps LYSANXIA has the same prophylactic effect, therefore I consider that due to the length & severity of my condition, I will remain on 3 x 2mg for life.
    Absolutely nothing but good efficacy and no side effects ever.
    But please bear in mind that for this purpose you really can't expect clonazepam to work properly at a tiny prn dosage!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatophobe View Post
    Pretty much the same length of time as me though I have been reduced only from 8mg to 6mg/day. Clonazepam used as a prophylactic is not really suitable for prn use. Blood plasma levels are crucial - for prn you would be far better off with an acute drug, my pfeferred being alprazolam for full blown issue and bromazepam (Alkaloid LEXILIUM made under Roche licence is better than original Roche Lexotan & a whole bunch cheaper!).
    Unfortunately Roche have withdrawn Rivotril in the UK because the NHS is demanding pharmacists now dispense the cheapest generic - Auden McKenzie feels a lot weaker and I have noticed an increase in anxiety level so now buy at great cost the Roche Suisse product and fund it by selling my crap generic to someone that the doc has refused to prescribe any more than 2 x 500mcg daily...
    There is also a push hete for the ceasing of BZD prescribing all together based on studies claiming one's life can be shortened by up to 5 years in BZD users as opposed to those who never take them. I have indicated that is a non-starter with me and as yet they have not breached the subject further... I told them I would simply buy online anyway as I do with my favoured analgesic, Palfium - now sold ONLY in Netherlands.
    Nothing else except perhaps LYSANXIA has the same prophylactic effect, therefore I consider that due to the length & severity of my condition, I will remain on 3 x 2mg for life.
    Absolutely nothing but good efficacy and no side effects ever.
    But please bear in mind that for this purpose you really can't expect clonazepam to work properly at a tiny prn dosage!
    Do you think it wise to admit to not only importing a controlled substance (trafficking offence) but also supplying your prescription to another party? You are even selling it!

Clonazepam is a Benzo, so in the drugs law Acts this is no longer a Prescription Only Medication (POM), as Benzo's are classed as controlled substances and covered under a UN agreement.

You may wish to take the risk of two criminal charges but I don't think this should be condoned on this forum!

9 years ago, I started taking Rivotril (1 mg). 3 years ago, I halved the dose. Even though I'm getting on well with it, I'm planning on withdrawing altogether as I've been making such good progress and have been doing well.

I'm being pressured to taper down clonazepam so that I can stop taking it eventually, but reducing the dose even a little is not pleasant. I really think doctors would rather their anxious patients become alcoholics or binge drinkers than prescribe a benzo. This is bizarre considering how damaging alcohol is in many ways. The only reason booze is legal is because until very recently water was contaminated, and so drinking alcohol is an established tradition and habit, hardwired into Western culture. Basically alcohol is legal only because its use is a fait accompli and for no other reasons. That's not a good enough reason.

I completely agree on the alcohol front, and I am sorry you're finding the dose reduction difficult. I know it may not make you feel a lot better, but I've been withdrawing Rivotril for a number of months now, and in 2 weeks' time, I'll be taking none. I've had a bad time, let me tell you, these things are addictive, but overall, I'm glad to be rid of the medication!

Hey ana
    Have you used any other med to help you come off the rivotril?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information