Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had EXTREME existential thoughts?

Has anyone had EXTREME existential thoughts?

Ive been thinking/fearing constantly for three years, what if nothing is real and my mind made everything? I'm afraid its been so long and feels so true, like I almost really believe it, that I cant get over it :(

I tried to rationalize, but that just doesnt work.... is there any hope for someone like me who doesnt know what they believe anymore?

Re: Has anyone had EXTREME existential thoughts?

I came on here because I was feeling similar existential thoughts at the moment too. All I can say is try not to let these thoughts ruin your life. Keep carrying on, do what you want to do in this life and don't let those thoughts stop you. They can keep running through your head all you want but they won't stop you from living.

I think that way too. sometimes i think i am dead and this is hell or something, being forced to live through this anxiety for years on end, each time i get a bit of relief another worry comes along...

if it is all in our minds then why can't we control it better? Why would we make up a reality where we were on here worrying about it all?

I also have thoughts that I am losing my mind, that my brain is shutting down and I can't think straight. Does anyone else get that?

"Our greatest success is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall"

Quote Originally Posted by Otulissa View Post
    Ive been thinking/fearing constantly for three years, what if nothing is real and my mind made everything? I'm afraid its been so long and feels so true, like I almost really believe it, that I cant get over it :(
    Wow, not to belittle your worries but that sounds wonderful to me! If the real world wasn't real nothing would matter. How freeing!

Unfortunately I believe reality is real....and all this human misery and suffering is also real.

If it's any consolation this is a well-known philosophical idea.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat

A question: why would it matter less whether it was real or not? In either case, you're still here.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez View Post
    A question: why would it matter less whether it was real or not? In either case, you're still here.

Hmmm that's a good point. I guess if I KNEW it wasn't real I could just forget about stuff.

Do you mean that you could forget about the existential thoughts you are having or forget about something else?

A thought just came to mind. Say it isn't real, it's some sort of video game or simulation and you have to stay in it for a given amount of time. If you're gonna be here anyway, why not make the most of it and do what you want to do?

Quote Originally Posted by CoraB View Post
    I also have thoughts that I am losing my mind, that my brain is shutting down and I can't think straight. Does anyone else get that?
    I used to get this really, really badly. It felt like the walls of my mind were closing in and I was a split second away from completely losing my mind, and I'd lose all touch with reality. Of course that never happened, but it's when I felt I had to seek help. I've been on citalopram for a few months, and while it hasn't cured me, the DP/DR is definitely less present. I think about it sometimes, and I still hate when I feel spacy, but it's much more bearable now.

I hope you're able to find some relief

I totally suffer from exitential thoughts for almost 2 years now. I suffer extreme fear attacks bc of that. reality is sometimes just too much to handle. I am really depressed bc of that and had to pause University. It changed everything for me and I am afraid i will never get out of it.
    I tried an inpatient psychiatric stay but I had these attacks where I was just sure I was losing my mind and I have this fear still. Life is just too much for me and I fear i am losing it so baldy. Most days it is kind of ok and I just carry on but acctually it changed everything. My DR/DP is gone most days but the aftermath of it is so so so ****ing har to handle at times.

Just wanting to bring this back as im suffering pretty badly at the moment. I so desperately want to find someone that has had this as long as me and as bad to give me hope.
    When everyone else seems to think their way out after a few months or a year it scares me so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information