Thread: Frightened about thyroid op !!

Frightened about thyroid op !!

I am due to go in soon to have half my thyroid removed as have a lump that came back marginal after needle biopsy. I am feeling sick all the time & can't focus on anything. I have HA & feeling panic all the time. I'm worried about something going wrong or it swelling up post op & I won't be able to breathe. I'm almost out of control. Also the worry if it is something nasty.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Nobody at all - I'm really not coping ! Please their must be someone.

Re: Frightened about thyroid op !!

I wish I could say something to reassure you. It's natural to be nervous before an operation even more so with HA. Try and distract yourself and remember the number of operations that happen everyday that go well. I felt like you before I had a minor op last year, but once I was there it was all OK. I hope you are feeling a bit better soon. Take care .

As Alma said.... it's totally normal to feel anxious before surgery. It just sucks that you're anxious regardless! I've had many and there's always some butterflies but I know I'll be in good hands as you will be AND... you'll be getting the good drugs so you'll feel no pain

I distracted myself watching funny videos on Youtube about people coming out of anesthesia. SOOO funny! The last time I was under, my wife was in recovery with me and while I don't remember, I kept grabbing her butt and saying "my tushie" ~lol~ There's one of a guy that doesn't recognize his wife and it's priceless!

Really... when you get there, tell them you're anxious and they'll give you something to calm you down. You'll be fine.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you both for responding ! The surgeon called today to say that can't fit me in until the 10th unless a cancellation. He is v highly regarded in his field however he had to tell me the things that can possibly go wrong as they are legally obliged to do so. I so wish he didn't have too !! Also in his off ice the other day he said that if it is cancer the op will remove it & no further treatment should be required hover today he said that if it is I may need a further op to remove the other half !!

The worst thing must be the waiting and the not knowing? I can certainly empathise with how you are feeling when your thoughts run riot and the worse case scenario takes a firm grip..

The fact is that you won't know anything until the 10th unless there is a cancellation. Keep yourself well and avoid coughs and colds-you want to be fit for surgery. Don't google anything(easier said than done)and do anything you can to get through the days with as little anxiety as possible until your op. Just concentrate on having the op and leave the questions for afterwards when your consultant will be able to give you definitive answers. Please let us know how you get on and good luck!

I just wanted to post some positive news. I had the op & after a 10 day wait had the good news that it was a benign tumour. I am one of the lucky ones & certainly feel it ! I was v anxious as the needle biopsy wasn't looking good. I am recovering well & am determined to try & conquer the HA. All the energy that I used fretting after finding the lump & then seeing a consultant, waiting for NB & fretting about that, waiting for results & catastrophising then worrying about the op & catastrophising wasted so much time that could have been enjoyed.At the end of the day it was ok & I wasted time feeling frozen & scared. Thank you to those of you who replied & gave me support it was much appreciated & I didn't feel so alone !

Hi, I never saw this thread when you first posted it, but I am pleased everything is ok for you now, and wish you well xx

That's really great news, Autumn4! I've been through a health scare too recently but also got the all clear-it makes you really reassess your life, doesn't it? I'm also trying to get to grips with my HA and become more rational.

I wish you a happy and healthy 2016!

Great news!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

fantastic news!

I just messaged you as I saw this and felt so worried for you but that really is wonderful!

hope you're well xxxx

Thread Information