Thread: Anxious about MRI scan

Anxious about MRI scan

I have an MRI scan booked for next Tuesday and I am currently very scared. I get claustrophobic and have an overwhelming urge to escape from small spaces so I have no idea how I'm going to lie still for 15 minutes. The hospital recommended getting a sedative but of course I don't want to take any medication as I have a phobia of medication!

I know that I go in head first (the worse of two options!) and it's for my spine so most of body would be in if not all?

HELP!! I don't want to ruin it or chicken out because it's quite important I get it because of constant back pain but I'm so scared!

Re: Anxious about MRI scan

You may be lucky and get an "open" scanner but I would seriously opt for sedation if not, Kimberley. The truth is that an MRI scanner is pretty challenging if you're claustrophobic but if you keep your eyes shut for the entire procedure then that may be a way round it? Also the machine is very noisy so take some music to listen to.

You're being very sensible in knowing that you need this MRI and it's a shame that you have to wait a week for it as anticipatory anxiety is horrible. I'm sure others will have some really good advice to offer you xx

I have had 2 MR I scans on my spine and never went in head first. I always went feet first and my head was right on the entrance so I could look up and see the room around me. You can take someone in with you to sit next to you so you can see them, they just have to sign a form as I took someone in with me on both occasions. I have had the open mri and it's on my wide open at the sides the width between you and the top is the same, but the quality of the image on a open one isn't as great. My second scan on my spine as well was in a wide bore machine that was fine again feet first head was at entrance so I could see put and they said I could lay on my tummy for it if I wanted to, it was very bright and airing although noisy so I had to have the headphones on but they talk to you and I had someone sat next to me who I could actually talk loudly to and hear . The scan took 6 minutes very quick. Good luck x

They said it was a wide bore one so its quite roomy? I spoke to my physiotherapist on the phone afterwards and I've got some advice for helping to deal with it. I'm determined to not take a sedative and at least try manage it myself. If I took medication I'd worry the whole time it would make me feel sick!

Thank you both, I will let you know how I get on.. Or panic some more here first!

Mine was on my neck and I went in head first. If you go feet first with your head out it's not nearly so claustrophobic.

MRI complete. I was in head first which is the worst way, but I didn't find it too claustrophobic. It was honestly nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. The noises of the machine are pretty loud and strange though!

Thread Information