Anyone else get really bad/painful muscle spasms/tension in your necks when you are feeling especially anxious? I have been getting them along with headaches from so much tension. I don't know what to do. Heating pads & moist heat don't help enough. I went for a massage last Friday and while I felt pretty loosened up immediately after, I started hurting the next day and really haven't stopped except for brief periods here and there. I think it is partly due to anxiety and partly to the massage being too strong and my muscles being overworked and sore from that. I get these awful spasms and then that makes me anxious, which then makes my muscles tighten up even more. It goes round and round and it's quite distressing.

My Dr. prescribed a very low dose of Ativan to be taken once a day "as needed" for anxiety, but I've resisted taking it for fear of becoming dependent on it. I have heard it is highly addictive and I don't want to have to rely on a pill to feel better unless it is absolutely necessary. I am at a point where I am probably going to cave in and take one tonight, as the muscle spasms have gotten so bothersome. I also have left a message with a psychologist my Dr. recommended, but have not heard back from her.

Anyone else have any ideas on how I can get some relief? It's driving me bonkers.