Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cognitive behaviour therapy?

cognitive behaviour therapy?

Ok today was the big day where i saw my dr about my problems, she diagnosed general anxiety and agrophobia, has referred me for cbt, this starts march, i know nothing about this but have heard good things about it, what actually happens during a session?

Does it really help?

Susie

Re: cognitive behaviour therapy?

Hi Aarcal

There is a description of what CBT involves on the site here.

I have just started CBT and have had 4 sessions now. Basically at the first one my therapist took a bit of history and we talked about what I want to work on and achieve from therapy.

In sessions since then we have been looking at further defining goals, cutting them down to more easily manage step and which one(s) to work on first and which are more long term.

We have also spent time each week on whatever I have been dwelling on during that week, picking apart my thought processes and working on challenging the thoughts by either exposure to whatever I'm anxious about (but in very small steps), or changing the meaning to me of my thoughts, which I often know 'rationally' are unlikely but the 'feelings' get to me and spiral.

I am feeling more optimistic about this treatment than others I've had in the past, even though it is early days. I'd recommend giving it a go, particularly if offered it on the NHS. I've been given every kind of treatment except this on the NHS and now find myself needing to self fund.

Good luck.

Karen

Cbt is really good so work hard and you will achieve your goals with it.

Susie

I will post you some links once I get them fixed from the move to the new forum. I did CBT last year and it really helped.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

CBT helped me and if I can do it anyone can. Unlike you, it's something I learnt on my own without the help of a professional which goes to show how easy it is. I can recommend a book called Mind Over Mood which tells you more about CBT. I agree with CeCe - if you work hard, you'll achieve anything but you need to face your fears in order to do that. So what are you waiting for???

Needansas, great reply and very inspiring. I didn't read that book but I like the title, who was the author? We used and i recommend the book by sam obitz for beginers because it was the one we read first in my group and it was short and easy and author struggled with anxiety and told his story of overcoming it with cbt which was almost as encouraging as your previous note With cbt it truly is up to you if you succeed or not and your efforts determine how much success you have and how fast you achieve your goals. It is very socratic. Like you said the sooner you dive into it and face your fears the sooner you will start feeling better.

aarcal - I'm on the list myself. I'll be happy to post feedback as and when it hapens and share with others what I find from it. So far *everything* I've heard here has been positive.

Krakers.

Wow this is great news hun...and so quick too..I had to wait ova 2 yrs to even get a referral to the MHT...
    I will be restarting my CBT on thurs...
    It will be hard hun but stick with it and give it you're best shot ok..just keep going.
    I'm so so pleased for you.x

'What you do today, is gettin' you closer to where ye wanna be tomora'

Does it always take a long time to get into cbt in the UK? I feel for you guys if it does, but like needansas said it is quite simple to do on your own if you are self motivated and plenty of good cbt books to guide you through the process. Whether you have a therapist or not cbt generally falls on the individual's shoulder to get better with it.

Anyone? Does it always take a long time to get into cbt in the UK? Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information