Thread: Getting Help

Getting Help

Hi all

Well I've decided this week I am going to make an appointment to see someone. I've seen some adverts in the local paper for counsellors...haven't got a clue which one to phone! Some have letters after their name, some don't. I am going to pay for this so want to find the right person...really scared to do this. I feel in between if that makes any sense..i'm on the verge of giving up in life but i also want to get better... feel sick with the thought of facing this.

KW

Well done for making this decision, I know exactly what you mean when you say "in between".

I cant advise you on who to phone because I have received all my CBT on the NHS (I know I am lucky)

Is this something you have tried to find out, if not it may be worth having a word with your GP to find out if its available and how long the wait would be.

Having not seen anyone privately I have no idea how they compare but I have found it very good. (And its free!)

Good luck.

Sue

Just thinking about it, maybe your GP would be the best person to ask anyway.

If NHS is not available, he should be able to recommend someone else.

Sue

hello there,

Well done in making this decision!! I know it's a daunting thought but in the long run I'm sure it will help. Take care and good luck!!

Sarah

KW,

Do get on an NHS list but in the meantime get a few sessions privately. The most important thing is to find someone with experience of your condition and that you like enough to work with.

Most of them ofer 1/2hr trial visit so you can gauge this .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

Hi everyone, thanku for your messages. I did ask my doc a few months back about having some kind of therapy & she just said i'd be waiting forever on the nhs and strongly advised me to go private. She did give me the number for someone but she said even they had a waiting list. My doc didn't seem to have the time to explain what it was for. So i'm guessing it's for phobias, anxiety etc if not i'll just try someone else. Maybe i should see a different doc?

KW

Thread Information