Thread: The system that is pointless but works

The system that is pointless but works

I've had this idea that sounds so stupid but I think it could work , for me at least it could. I know it's stupid because I've been told it is stupid and that it makes no sense even though it does to me , after all I am doing it for me. I've gone out to get myself a notebook so I can write down my system and tick it off every time I do something on the system. The system is basically writing out a plan for that day and then ticking it off whenever you've done something off that system. For example I will write down 9.00 am wake up , 9.05 go to the toilet , 9.15 have breakfast etc and each time I do these things I tick it off. I will also write in the evenings how I want to feel the next day. So I guess you could say it's a bit like a diary but with set intentions. Good idea or bad idea

Re: The system that is pointless but works

I guess its a good idea if it works for you I wouldn't be so strict on the time to do stuff that can stress you out

I do this on busy days where I know I will get overwhelmed with it all as it helps me to focus right down to all the little things like go for a shower, have a cup of tea, sort out the washing.

I guess it depends on what forms your anxiety take. If you are prone to depression, having structures is very important to try to pull you out of it and re establish some routines. They use Behavioural Activation for this in depression. With anxiety is can also be helpful to create structure to get you doing things so you put them off less and have less time to spend thinking & worrying.

But like all good healthy things, they can become negative when they become obsessive or done out of avoidance of fear.

I have done some of what you say in terms of getting routines into my day. MY problem is that a lot of my OCD, in it's obsession elements, concentrates on maintaining routine at the cost of recovery so I can't do something this strict as I need to learn to allow myself to deviate more.

Thread Information