Thread: Spotting between periods

Spotting between periods

Hi didn't realise there was a thread just for female things.

The last 2 months I've had a normal period, then brown/ red spotting for a good 5 days , then my next period was 10 days late, very heavy, then spotting from CD12- now (approx CD 20). It's brown or red, I keep using tampons and it's nowhere near as heavy as a period but does cover a tampon.

I had a smear about 4 months ago which was normal. Just completely panicking.

Been to the docs today and she wants to do some tests, was kind of hoping she would just tell me to wait and see instead.

Also there's no chance I'm pregnant. Not on any contraceptives. I'm 29 next week.

Thanks in advance, just wondering if anyone has had similar ....

Re: Spotting between periods

Hi,

Yes, I have had similar! I have had episodes of spotting between periods and very late periods (40-50 day cycles). I had a transvaginal scan and found I had cysts on my ovaries, and that was delaying my period (as cysts produce hormones that mess up the cycle) and causing the spotting.

They were not worried at all and said that the cysts should resolve on their own and as my womb lining was thick, a period should arrive any day soon.

I had this happen again and was then told I had multiple cysts on my ovaries, but not the full blown polycystic ovary syndrome. Again the doctor was not worried.

Please try not to be too concerned. Every doctor I spoke to said that these issues are very common - spotting, delayed periods. Any kind of hormonal shift - due to illness, stress, or cysts - can create these problems, but generally they either resolve on their own, or can be dealt with.

I would go with the doctor on this. At least then you will know what the story is and things can be addressed. x

Thanks Debs. I went to doctor today and she wanted to do tests but I had my toddler with me and he was walking around so she wants me to rebook.

I have been stressed (but I feel like I'm always stressed anyway), just hope it's nothing bad.

It was the doctors reaction that worries me, she straight away asked if I had a family history of cancer. Which I don't, but I just wondered why she asked that before anything else. Maybe I'm reading too much into things. X

Blimey!!!! No wonder you are worried after she asked that, and I do feel that was naughty of her....jeez.

Ignore her. She is jumping to the worst possible scenario, and the likelihood of that is slim to say the least. Yes, spotting/abnormal bleeds can be a sign of C, but in the vast majority of cases - and especially as you are young and have a little one - it is just hormones playing up.

I was 39/40 when I started having my issues, and NOBODY ever mentioned the C word to me. I was 42 when I was told about the multiple cysts and diagnosed with a uterine polyp which was removed under local, and again NOBODY mentioned the C word, although they tested my polyp which was fine (most polyps are)

That was really insensitive of her. She should have just sent you for the tests and left it at that instead of scaring you.

I am confident that you will be just fine. Many, many women have these same issues and they are normally easily rectified and not sinister. x

Thank you. I will update anyway.
    Yeah I wish she hadn't said that, I mean obviously I'm scared of that too but don't like them saying it. X

To be fair she was probably doing due diligence,

Do you have a family history of cancer? If not, this is likely nothing. If yes, then we might need to run some tests.

Yeah I guess so, I just get hypersensitive to doctors reactions. And no I don't have any family history of it. Seeing a counsellor in a couple of hours. Hopefully it will help just to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Urusainaa View Post
    To be fair she was probably doing due diligence,

Do you have a family history of cancer? If not, this is likely nothing. If yes, then we might need to run some tests.
    Most decent doctors can show 'due diligence' without mentioning cancer automatically, though. They could simply say they are going to run or refer for tests just to be sure what is going on, as clearly someone with anxiety needs a little more sensitivity during consultation, where their bedside manners leave a lot to be desired.

Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Most decent doctors can show 'due diligence' without mentioning cancer automatically, though. They could simply say they are going to run or refer for tests just to be sure what is going on, as clearly someone with anxiety needs a little more sensitivity during consultation, where their bedside manners leave a lot to be desired.

Just my opinion of course.
    That's what the counsellor said. Feel a bit better after I've spoken to her, she said that she's been to the (same) doctors surgery 3 times about the same problem (caused by cervical erosion) and they've never mentioned that before. Think it must've been the particular doctor I spoke to. X

Thread Information