Thread: Worried about washing machine not being on?

Worried about washing machine not being on?

I've had this worry since I moved into my house. I put dirty washing in the machine and my girlfriend put it on the clothes dyer so I binned the dryer and got a new one.

I started rewashing clothes if I worried they never washed. Even if the button was on id reload another wash.

Now I got over that I don't rewash I worry my clothes are not clean. I have sat around in bed worrying all day I tried to challenge the thoughts my evidence is:

*The switch was on for the washing machine
    *All clothes were wet and smelt fresh
    *I always put the washing on right away so it doesn't get confused as dirty washing

Now I was going to put the wash out right away but delayed it so that's when my anxiety kicked in. I've had these worries before and it does ease but I fear things being contaminated.

Sadly challenging my thoughts is not working this time anybody got any advice?

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

My second worry is the iron dropped on the floor. I am worried it's contaminated too as dirty towels have lay there before.

The dirty towels worry comes from them being dirty or quite wet but also in the bathroom if any small pieces of toilet paper reach them after people use the toilet so basically if the towels are near stuff I worry..

Should I worry? Maybe toilet germs are on them?

Re: Worried about washing machine not being on?

This might be better posted in the OCD section, rather than GAD.

Yep it suits better in OCD, I thought about the Iron thing though, don't you think hot Iron temperature will kill all germs anyway? and it's not like germs are going to jump from toilet paper onto your towels so nothing to worry about

You could give the iron a wipe over with some antibacterial wipes and then any germs that could be on the floor should be done.

You have good counter evidence there, especially the second one. It takes time to get challenging thoughts to work though but if they have worked for you in the past, perhaps it is worth moving out of a position where all you have are your thoughts? Get on with some things and then see if your anxiety is at the same level. If not, keep challenging again and you may have more success.

Thread Information