Thread: Last chance saloon

Last chance saloon

Hi all - I'm off back to the docs in 20 mins. I've been going now for 6 months and keep coming home with SSRI's or Tricyclics. I have yet to receive anything for my all day long anxiety, and end up coming off the new meds because I can't handle the increased anxiety during the "incubation" time taken for the meds to kick in.

I keep self medicating with alcohol to handle the anxiety, and its got the point where its become as big a problem as the anxiety itself. It was interesting on my last visit to the docs for him to tell me that alcohol was better, or if not, just as bad as benzodiazapines - currently a front line treatment for anxiety.

Well today I'm seeing a different doc. If its the same response today as every other time I've been then thats it for doctors. I'll have heard enough. It'll be time to soar or sink on my own.

BTW - I've been nothing but upfront about all my symtoms, actions, problems and drinking. I must have related the same story now twice a month for the last 6 months at least.

I would say wish me luck, but if it wasn't for my other half pushing me I wouldn't even be going today. So better to wish an understanding pair of ears rather than a doc who believes he can fix my "chemical imbalance" without addressing the anxiety.

Krakers.

Re: Last chance saloon

Hi all - thought I'd write a quick update. After waiting almost an hour and a half to see the doc (he was running late and it was the last appointment) I was pleasantly suprised.

He listened, he understood, and we came up with a course of action. Apparantly the alcohol intake has been a secondary problem initially that arose with me trying to combat the anxiety with self medicating, but its one that he believes needs to be treated first - progress indeed.

I've been set on a course of meds designed for both the reduction and withdrawal for alcohol and which will also combat my inability to sleep and address my daytime anxiety. Wonder of wonders, I thought such a thing was just beyond my reach.

I'll be starting my new course tomorrow and hold a lot more faith in it than previous prescriptions. It has an almost immediate effect (the same day anyway) and is the first step to quiting drinking and getting the daytime anxiety under control.

While on this course I have been advised to reduce my alcohol intake significantly, but have been assured this shouldn't be a problem because the med will pick up where the alcohol used to. He didn't say go cold turkey, he advised a steady reduction at a pace that suits me best.

To be honest he was great - I just wish I'd seen him 6 months ago. Faith has been restored in the medical profession and just having the prescription in my hand I have drunk half today what I have been doing previously. Thats without even starting the course.

The med prescribed is chlordiazepoxide. I'm going to start a seperate thread to ask members of their experience on this.

Suffice it to say I'm now a lot more upbeat. Being understood goes a long way to restoring self belief.

Yours cheerfully for once ........ Krakers.

Glad you're cheerful Krakers!! Just goes to show how arbitary our treatment from the NHS is depending on which GP you see.

Good luck on your new meds.

kayx

Hey, that's great news. I really hope everything works out for you!

Thats great news!
    Glad your feeling positive about the help you got.
    I was on chlordiazipoxide many years ago and got on fine with it.
    Hope you do too.
    Traceyxxx

Hi Krakers

I'm pleased you got the advise you sooo needed to hear, as always you also have us all to support you, we are with you all the way!!!!!

Good luck with the new meds.

Luv Pinky

Thread Information