Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: University

University

I've been offered a place to study at university part time. The course is a 2 year Creative Writing Certificate. Writing is something I enjoy doing, especially as it is my main way of communicating, and I know it will be good for me to have something to focus on.

I applied a while ago (in a brave moment!) but now the start day is approaching I am feeling very anxious. I declared my social phobia on my application but I didn't give any details. I thought it might be easier if they are forewarned as I have panic attacks if I am asked to speak in group situations.

I am particularly worried because the course description mentions 'discussion' quite a lot and feedback on your work from other students. I'd feel very uncomfortable about this. Another main obstacle for me is the first end of term assignment, which mentions 'putting together a portfolio that you will deliver in class, consisting of a number of edited pieces of writing with an introduction'. I would be unable to do this and it might mean I have no chance of passing the course.

I don't feel I am progressing very much with speaking or dealing with my fears of being with people. I really want to do the course, I am just not sure I am ready to take this step.

There is an induction day on Saturday which I have to attend and I am panicking about it. My friend is going to come with me for moral support but I am still getting very anxious.

Briary

Hi Briary

Be brave and go along. I am doing a course at university and it really helps to have something to focus on other than anxiety. Why don't you arrive a little early and have a word with the tutor. Just mention you have a social anxiety and would prefer not to talk at first, I'm sure they'll be very understanding. The other thing you can do is contact the university's disability office - they helped me and can offer solutions to any problems your anxiety causes you - for instance I had a separate room and extra time in my exams in case I had to leave for a bit.

Good luck, I bet you'll really enjoy it once you get into it!

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Hi Briary

I know exactly how u r feeling. I would try if you can, to explain to the tutor. He/she would understand then and wouldn't put you in those certain situations. Hopefully it wouldn't effect the outcome of your qualification. It shouldn't do anyway, especially if it's a writing course. Don't let the tutor patronise you either..I know from experience they think it is just natural nerves and try and bring you into the conversation but it would be better for you to explain to them, even if in a letter about your phobia. Maybe if you put that you'd rather observe any group discussions and would prefer not to participate ..any comments you have you could put in writing to the tutor? I know it's so difficult but if they understand you might find you'll really enjoy it and it could give you confidence..and when you get used to the surroundings etc you might want to talk at times..

It's great your friend will be there to give you support. I'm sure all will be ok Briary.. I will be thinking of you

KW

H Briary,

I think it is imperative that you meet with the course tutor prior to it starting and get these points raised and answered so you know what to expect when you attend .

If it is mandatory to present the portfolio to pass the course will you continue to do it for interest sake and see how you progress ?

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

Briary,

Only you know if you are ready to take this step but if you're asking what the general opinion is I think its clear. GO FOR IT!!!

Do what Meg suggested and meet with your tutor before the course begins to explain fully the extent of your fear about talking. I think this will be good for lots of reasons and gives you the chance to ask lots of questions.

Been thinking about doing a course myself but would probably have to opt for an Open University course due to my travelling difficulties.

Let us know what you decide.

Caroline
    x

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think trying to find out from the tutor what exactly is expected with regard to group discussions and presentations is a good idea. I have an email address for the course convener so I think I will send an email to him before Saturday's induction day explaining a bit about my problems talking.

Meg - I want to do this course. I am going to try at least. I would obviously like to get the certificate but I know it will be good for me to do the course anyway.

Briary

Hi Briary

Like Meg says find out what is expected of you. But even if you think it may be too much to take on i would give it your best effort to at least start the course.

The confidence you will gain from that will be of great benefit to you.

This is a good chance for you to overcome a lot of your fears.

Really hope you go for it.

Love Sal xxxxx

hi there Briary,

I think it's a great idea that you are going to try to do this course!! I'm sure it took a lot of courage for you to apply in the first place but you did it, so deep down inside you must really want to do this course. This might be exactly what you need to help yourself slowly get through your phobia.
    I agree that you should find out exactly what the course consists of and I'm sure you and the tutor can sort something out from there. Good luck and take care.

Sarah

Hey Briary

Well done you for applying for it in the first place. That in itseld proves that you want to get out there and do some stuff and I am sure you will be very good at a writing course.

Presenting is quite a strain I know that from my degree course - I used to hate it and it does take practice.

I think that if you explain your limitations they will want to work with you to help you all they can. I am sure people are more open to such problems today than years ago.

Good luck for Saturday and let us know how it goes - we will be thinking of you ok?

Nicola

I think it's a good idea Briary. I don't really know what you're like in social situations, but you'll probably find that these 'discussions' are very informal and relaxed. If you did have to do anything that you think may be too much, then like the others have said, you should be able to talk to the tutor and they will give you any help that you need to reach your qualification.

If you need to do a presentation, then they are more difficult, but I done one a couple of years ago and was quite pleasently surprised that everyone else was just as scared as me. They normally give you them towards the end of the year too, by which time you're familiar with everyone in the group. Or again, if needs be, then your tutor may well allow you to do it just in front of him/her. Or if your really at your wits end, then you may still be able to achieve the qualification without it, but by that time I'm sure your confidence will have come a long way.

Good luck

mico

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information