Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried about my cat

Worried about my cat

Hey guys, I had a better few days - was working hard on looking at the positives and not letting anxiety get to me.

Today I'm having a bit of a rougher time. My cat didn't want to eat much this morning and now I'm really worried about her. She did drink some milk I gave her and ate a few bites of cheese. She is 15 years old and my anxiety of course makes me go to the worse case scenario.

It just seems like the past few months I have been hit with one stressor after another and then my anxiety magnifies it x 10. I just wish things would stay calmer until *I* am calmer and have a better handle on my anxiety.

Any thoughts for me would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

Re: Worried about my cat

I'd say if she doesn't start eating again properly by the morning then it's probably best to get her checked over by the vet. Keep an eye out for any diarrhoea and vomiting. The milk may not be the best thing for her but if that's all she'll take it's better than nothing. At 15 she is at the age when blood tests may be necessary as kidney problems can start-also thyroid but normally cats eat loads and lose weight with an overactive thyroid.

A blood screening may be the best thing and would highlight any potential problems but hopefully she'll pick up really soon and you won't need a vet visit. She could just have eaten something dodgy and is feeling a bit rough?

Thanks Pulisa, I will keep an eye on her. I'm hoping she picks up eating again as right now I can't afford the vet - there have been too many financial strains on me lately. Another stressor that has added to my anxiety.

I only tried the milk to see if she would drink and she went to it right away. I will try regular food when I get home from work tonight. She has been acting normal right up to this morning and has not lost weight and seems like her normal self. She just didn't eat much which is unusual for her.

Well she ate more normally last night, but this morning didn't eat all of her food again. She is still acting fine, looking to be petted etc. I am so worried, a big part of this is my anxiety but with her age honestly there could be something going on.

It's breaking my heart as I'm imagining the worst and as I mentioned I have had so many things break or happen lately that I have no money to take her to be checked.

Right now I feel so lost, it seems like every time I start to get a leg up on this anxiety/intrusive thoughts and depression something happens. Then I get knocked back down again. I just don't know what to do, feeling overwhelmed and pretty sad at the moment. I know life can always throw us curveballs, but right now I feel like I'm being kicked while I'm already down.

I have a kitty fur baby so I understand your concern. You do have a point concerning her age. Just keep an eye on her. It really could be as simple as an upset tummy (our boy had the same thing happen along with puking. Turned out to be an upset tummy from hairballs). Check to make sure she's urinating and pooping normally. If she shows any signs of discomfort or acts lethargic, best to have her checked. Most vets will allow you to make payments if you can't afford a visit or meds (mine does) so don't hesitate to call and ask.

Hope she feels better soon.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I don't have a cat, I have a dog, but my GF has 3 cats and her family have always had them.

She has told me many times how her cats go without food some days and then they are fine. She has also told me just how sneaky her moggies are. New neighbours moved in with cats and they were stupidly putting their food outside...so you can guess what happened.

Some people feed cats too and then they don't eat what you give them. She has told me this before. We had a well looked after local cat meowing on our back doorstep for about a week when we were making food with the door open in the walm weather. He/she wanted some food.

My dog has days where he doesn't want food. He had one yesterday. Sometimes he will eat some biscuits instead of meat when this happens and some times nothing at all.

With my GF's cats, she only gets worried if they don't seem well. If they seem happy and with energy and as FMP says, the toilet habits are ok, it could just be an off day.

Thanks guys. She's not quite actiing right I'm afraid - seems a bit more lethargic than usual. She did eat last night - but this morning just licked at her food. I'm really worried and my anxiety/depression has taken a nosedive with this. I'm not sure how I'd handle it if something happened to her.

Just feeling really scared and discouraged at the moment.

Just call the vet, tell them about your monetary situation and ask if they can help. I would think they wouldn't refuse you if your kitty is really ill.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

As FMP says please contact your vet as soon as possible. There are always ways round paying the bill (maybe in instalments) and you owe it to your cat to get her looked at.

Are there no walk in our charity vet services?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information