Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'M BETTER (hopefully) (fingers crossed)

I'M BETTER (hopefully) (fingers crossed)

Just thought I'd update my update (see This advice DOES work in Success Stories)

For you oldies out there (and by that I mean those of you who have been using the site for a while), I'm still alive. I've just not had chance to get onto a pc. Ours at home has decided that it is too old, and it can't be upgraded, so I'm saving for a new telly. My mum has volunteered me a lap top, but I'm a proper touch typist, and can't be doing with such new fangled contraptions!

For those of you new to the site, I've been a member for quite a while. I've suffered on and off with panic, anxiety and depression for a number of years, and am living proof that listening to Meg, Nic, and the others out there can get you back somewhere near close to living a normal life.

Well to update from my last success story in April. . . . .

April and most of May came and went quite successfully - I didn't do anything too adventurous, but then I didn't gib out of anything either. I got into a routine of three weekly visits to the gym, continued with the healthy eating, CBT, and daily doses of prozac. I could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

THEN ..... within the space of 24 hours, I discovered that my darling horse (one month off his 32nd birthday) had a lymphoma, and had to be destroyed, and I was about to be made redundant.

I waited for the inevitable return of the panic/anxiety. Back to square one. And ........

Nothing bad happened. Of course I was shi**ing it, not having a job, but I started applying, and (ok so I admit it wasn't easy), I managed to go to several interviews. Talk like a normal person. Not throw up, spontaneously combust, talk gibberish, or otherwise give the game away, that I was not a "normal" person.

And I got all the jobs (bar one) that I applied for (and to be honest, everybody who knows me had hysterical laughter when I told them I'd applied to be a wedding planner). Something inside me clicked though, and I decided that I didn't want to spend the next eleven years working for somebody who ultimately had the power the dismiss me, without a thank you or backward glance.

So I got in touch with Business Link, went on lots of courses and seminars, and I'm now self employed.

As well as doing some freelance bar work, which includes running the local pub one day and evening a week for the landlord and lady to have a day/night off, I have set up my own business, housekeeping, and house and pet sitting, and doing basic book keeping. I've also been working on my writing, and am hoping to have my depression article published soon (I'll let you know how I get on with that).

I can honestly, and genuinely say that I have never felt this good in AGES.

A few weeks ago I had to visit my GP for a medication review as I had been on prozac for six months now. I walked in, and she said "you look great - have you been away - you look really well - whats your secret?"

"Well, I've just had my horse put down, and been made redundant, it's been a pretty ****ty time actually. And I've more than coped. " It's a good job she already knows I'm totally mad, or else I'm sure she would have certified me right there and then.

Ok, so for one month, whilst I was sorting my head out, I was on 40mg of fluoxetine a day, but after a month, I went back to 20mg, and it served it's purpose. I got through a time, that frankly anybody would have found tough. And came out the other side fighting.

The point is that until all this happened I didn't realise just how much progress I'd made. Nor how unhappy, depressed, and miserable my job was making me. I'd not got stuck in a rut, I'd fallen into the bottom of a crater!

I still try very hard not to think about anything, and could easily make myself feel wobbly again, without any effort. However, I did allow myself to compile a list of things I've not done for ages and have managed (mainly without any panic, and only the tiniest bit of anxiety) to do, or am planning to do.

House sit for Brian and his four "babies" (the cats) for two weeks.
    House sit for Judy

Great to hear from you Charlie !!!

and so Well Done. I know how hard you've slogged away at this..

lots of love

Meg

Hi Charlie

What a great piece, i have read it a couple of times, and you are prove it does get better with hard work and determination.

You have done so well and achieved so much, and i can totally understand your point that if it ever came back you know you could beat it again.

Good luck with all that you are doing and i hope your business takes of really well.

Hope you get a good result taking your old employers to tribunal.

That story is an inspiration to all on this site. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Love Sal xxxxx

thanks Meg and Sal!

Meg you are right, I have put a lot of work in, but ultimately I believed that I would get better, cos you and Nic were so persistant that if I followed your tips, it would happen! And it did.

Sal, I'm glad you found it useful. I think the most useful thing that I can say I learnt is that panic/anxiety will always be "there". But I can learn skills, techniques and life style changes that will keep it at bay, where I want it, and under control. There is no "answer" or "solution". Each of us has to find the things that work for us, however, CBT, medication, and a healthy lifestyle go a long, long way to help. Changing your outlook, and believing in yourself also make a huge difference.

Listen to advice, but don't necessarily dwell on it for too long. I've lost count of the number of people who thing I am "mad" for taking Prozac (thanks Daily Mail for all the negative publicity). However, personally speaking, I know that taking a course of medication, combined with all the other things I've made a part of my life, has helped immeasurably. I'm not saying I wouldn't be where I am now without it, but it has made it so much easier to get there. Reikei is another example of this - it really works for me, I've done yoga and other relaxation things, but reikei really wipes me out, and I feel so much better. I only go once a fortnight now, but I still feel a huge benefit - and Jane has to wake me up at the end of each session. This from the woman who couldnt get to sleep unless she went to bed after 11.00pm. I am now so chilled if I'm tired at ten, I go to bed. And sleep.

I've still got a long way to go yet - holidays, flying etc. etc. But I'm taking each day at a time. And I'm getting there. Life isn't a race, and I've decided that I;m going to take my time enjoying it - who says we have to live to a timetable anyway?

Best of luck Sal - I hope you're feeling better now.

Love

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Hey Charlie mate [^]

I missed you loads and your funny posts - you entertained us for hours [:P]

I am so pleased it has come together for you and thanks for coming back to let us know cos we do like to know what happened to people!!

I am like you at the moment in that there are things I can't do (and want to) but I am happy with my life and I will get all the other things done soon[:O]

You sound so much happier now and I am sure you will get over that last little hurdle soon.

So proud of you mate.

Keep in touch ok.

xxx

Nicola

HI Charlie,

I wondered where you had got to as I hadnt seen you post on here for awhile. Its such good news to hear how well you are feeling and how much happier you are. You are living proof that we can learn to live with anxiety and live happy and normal lives.

Take care and I hope your business and writing are successful for you.

sadie

hi there Charlie,

Well done!! You have been through a tough time and you have pulled through so well!!

Sarah

Hi Charlie

Can understand that feeling it will always be there, but it is knowing how to handle it and control it which you have done so well.

Admire you for how well you have done and when i am struggling with it will remind myself of how well you have done.

Thanks mate.

Love Sal xxxxx

**Can understand that feeling it will always be there**

No it won't !! Lets not give up at 3rd base ..

I think the potential is always there - just like a broken limb always aches in damp weather but it doesn't actually cause you any pain or trouble .

You will have months and years without any issues at all but in times of stress or after difficult situations you may find the initial feeling returning which is when you need to take extra special care of yourselves again.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

Hi Charlie

I'm so so so so so (ok you get the idea) pleased for you.

Yeah ok I'm still not talking to you for having standing tickets for the Darkness but I'll learn to live with that.

You're an inspiration to me and I'm sure loads of others.

We all know how hard it is to get back on top and you've definitely had to do it the hard way.

So good for you girl.

I'll speak to you soon and hope you are still on for the 2nd Oct, (provided Dave doesn't whisk me away somewhere exotic - I wish). Is 2GTBT coming a long?

Take care

See you soon
    Love
    Jules

Jules

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information