Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you guys stop consulting Dr. Google?

Re: How do you guys stop consulting Dr. Google?

Quote Originally Posted by NoPoet View Post
    As the Angry Video Game Nerd says, "The only way to do it is to just fg do it.".
    Haha..an avgn reference, love it

I must admit I really really avoid this, especially as I have a Nurse wife so shes my fount of knowledge.

Self diagnosis is no substitute for a professional opinion.

Yes Dr. Google is the worst, however, it did help me recognize I had cellulitis, but when I googled the worst cases came up and that put me in panic mode, I think I am going to try to block medical websites, and certain key phrases.

Whilst it doesn’t solve the fundamental problem I would recommend that if somebody is going to google a symptom then they should also include the word anxiety in the search subject. By doing this at the very least the returns you get indicate that what you are experiencing has been an anxiety presentation for nameless others.

The problem with Google and online searching is that it really is a rabbit hole easily disappeared down...you go from experiencing relief to doom and back again at the click of the mouse. Yes, you may hit that testimony that gives you all the relief you think you need but of course you won’t stop there. Just like you ain’t eating a single Pringle you are never going to restrain your symptom search.
    I was brought here to pay homage
    To the beat surrender

Quote Originally Posted by itoldyouiwasill View Post
    Whilst it doesn’t solve the fundamental problem I would recommend that if somebody is going to google a symptom then they should also include the word anxiety in the search subject. By doing this at the very least the returns you get indicate that what you are experiencing has been an anxiety presentation for nameless others.
    I've done this trick many times! It's even led me here before. Definitely a good chance to calm some panic if I MUST google something.

One thing that toned down my need to Google symptoms (for awhile anyway I still do it like OP and many of us!) was the time I playfully found that even hiccups - yes, HICCUPS! - was a sign of cancer! LOL. So obviously Dr. Google doesn't have a very good track record. I need to remind myself of that one more often!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Get a friend or relative install parental controls on your computer and phone browsers to block sites and keywords as well as a password you don't have access to. Done.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Get a friend or relative install parental controls on your computer and phone browsers to block sites and keywords as well as a password you don't have access to. Done.

Positive thoughts
    Good advice! Parental controls can really help to limit the search on Dr Google.

Qustodio for example can block Health category sites. It is a free program and helps me a lot !

Whenever you have the urge to put the c word or your symptom in the search field, replace that with health anxiety, anxiety coping skills or something completely else.

I just relapsed to googling symptoms, panicked a lot but then switched to googling health anxiety instead and ended up here (and now it's manageable again).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information