Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys stop consulting Dr. Google?

How do you guys stop consulting Dr. Google?

I went to see a dermatologist about my mole and red patch on my skin, he said my mole was fine and my patch is a small case of Psoriasis. I relaxed immediately and felt more content! Anyhow, I wanted to Google products for dry skin treatment and I couldn't help but noticed that skin cancer was in the suggested Google search so I clicked it and now I have started worrying all over again! How does anybody move away from Dr. Google and stop using him?! I am such a fool! :(

Re: How do you guys stop consulting Dr. Google?

Hmm tricky. Perhaps try using amazon?

It's a tough one; the internet is a fabulous tool for most things, but for those with too much time on their hands and a tendency to worry then it is often not beneficial.

It is easy to say that we have to apply rational and logic thinking, but if we were all capable of thinking this way, then most of us wouldn't suffer the levels of anxiety we experience.

I think it really does sometimes come down to applying some tough love - to ourselves and to attempt to fill those empty moments so that we don't have too much spare time to Google.

I know it is an unpopular approach but I do think that some tough love is essential as you suggest, Sandie. I think Dr Google needs to be virtually castrated once and for all for some people who are tortured by HA

Google really is a great tool. I can get answers from everything from "How Tall is Bar Rafaeli" (5'9" btw ) to chili recipes etc. BUT for the HA sufferer? Not good and we all know that.

This is an extreme approach bit if you really, really want to stop and can't, you'll need some help from a friend or loved one.

Most browsers have parental settings. If they don't, there are plug ins available. Have someone block medical websites and prevent certain keyword searches and password protect it so you can't get around it. It's gonna suck for a few days but in the long run, you'll be better off for it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

may be keep yourself busy and do something u like, get away from computers.

Hello My first (well second post here because of the introduction!).
    I use an extension in Chrome called Adblock. It blocks those annoying ads coming up if you have searched for something. It's free and worth a go and if you like it you can donate afterwards to keep it free and going!

I read an article in a newspaper a couple of weeks ago which was saying there are some useful, trustworthy sites. Webmd.com was one of them, the nhs.uk site and patient.info.
    This article said that even some GPs use these sites.
    If I google something I always put 'Uk' at the end of the sentence, so as not to be directed to an American site.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsmrs View Post
    I read an article in a newspaper a couple of weeks ago which was saying there are some useful, trustworthy sites. Webmd.com was one of them, the nhs.uk site and patient.info.
    This article said that even some GPs use these sites.
    If I google something I always put 'Uk' at the end of the sentence, so as not to be directed to an American site.
    WebMD will tell you it's cancer for a blister! NOT a good site for HA sufferers. My neck hurts all the time. It's a side effect from cancer treatment. If I use the symptom checker and put in that my neck hurts, a big red window pops up that says "GET PROMPT MEDICAL ATTENTION!" . Uhhhh... no... I'm fine actually. Some pain meds help but it's not sinister.

When I was diagnosed with cancer, I went a little Google crazy. It scared the hell out of me! I found a forum of fellow sufferers and survivors that told me like it is. Everyone is different. If I had believed the medical sites I visited, I shouldn't even be here!

Medical sites and online doctors should be avoided at all costs IMO.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Just saying what I read fishmanpa.
    I found the no more panic forum through Google, and a local support group for my thyroid condition,
    so it can't be all bad can it!!!!!!??????????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information