Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys stop consulting Dr. Google?

Re: How do you guys stop consulting Dr. Google?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsmrs View Post
    Just saying what I read fishmanpa.
    I found the no more panic forum through Google, and a local support group for my thyroid condition,
    so it can't be all bad can it!!!!!!??????????
    Not at all! See my previous post on the subject. I use it all the time... just not to feed a fear or negativity. That being said, to entrench yourself in the medical sites and disease forums or read horrible stories about misdiagnosis and other "Daily Mail" type stories sinks you deeper in the mire of anxiety and fear. Trying to self diagnose that ache or pain is only going to lead you to more worry. WAY too many do this. The words "I read..." are part of more threads than I can count and that's typically not a good thing when it comes to anxiety and HA.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I have been obsessively and compulsively googling my symptoms when my anxiety has been through the roof. Eventually, I got my partner to block a whole load of websites on my iPad - most medical websites etc. and health discussion boards, and they are all protected by a password. I thought it was going to make my anxiety worse, not being able to google, but actually it has improved things a LOT. So, it might sound like a last resort but blocking websites really worked for me. You need to get someone else to do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by panicwomble View Post
    I have been obsessively and compulsively googling my symptoms when my anxiety has been through the roof. Eventually, I got my partner to block a whole load of websites on my iPad - most medical websites etc. and health discussion boards, and they are all protected by a password. I thought it was going to make my anxiety worse, not being able to google, but actually it has improved things a LOT. So, it might sound like a last resort but blocking websites really worked for me. You need to get someone else to do it for you.
    I've suggested the very same thing many times. It leaves you no choice but NOT to Google!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

As the Angry Video Game Nerd says, "The only way to do it is to just fg do it."

It's all about how you deal with the impulse to Google your symptoms - because that's what it is, an impulse. You're seeking confirmation one way or another as a method of eliminating worry. Trouble is, Dr Google's favourite diagnosis seems to be "imminent death" with a side order of the big C, so it just ends up making you feel worse.

One thing to try is, when you next feel the urge to Google something, say out loud things like "I am choosing to ignore this. I am taking ownership of myself. I am moving on with my life. I am choosing to recover."

Resisting such impulses is hard, and can make you feel worse at first, but you will not feel as distressed as if you looked it up and saw something terrible.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

What really annoys me is pseudo medical info sites which link into each other and I get excited thinking that there is lots of evidence of a certain therapy or vitamin/ mineral working miracles for what ails me. Then after hours of searching I find they are run by "doctors" who have had their license revoked etc. They basically sell what they are recommending, many without evidence of it having any benefit. Snake oil salesmen! (& women). The worst part of it is their recommendations are passed on in good faith by people repeating lists of symptoms that can be cured by their worthless methods and posting them on other websites and forums out there. Fake cures are then talked about as Gospel. Ripples in a pond!

I think Google is driving the huge increase of HA sufferers. Or at least they are a major component of it. Their algorithms are set so to promote certain products by way of fear. That is one way they produce revenue for their company. Fear is an enormous tool in the world of advertising. Just turn your tv on and you will see it. The only way is to just stop googling. Or at least do so with a very discerning eye.

N.

What makes it even worse is doing those searches places cookies on your computer and then you start seeing health related advertising on the other sites you visit (FB, Yahoo etc.).

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 13-06-16 at 19:11.

I usually do guided Internet searches to seek assurance that my condition could be benign. As well as HA, I have GAD and IBS so I will usually put those terms in along with whatever symptoms I'm having and I come up with loads of hits that tell me my dizziness or chest pain could be caused by IBS or GAD, rather than a stroke or heart attack.

Most symptoms are common to lots of diseases so I find it best to try not to explore too deeply.

Googling symptoms one of the worse things you can do.

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

It was what I was doing when this health anxiety first started.

Google is like that super negative friend we all have! But everything you type into Google comes back, you are about to die.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information