Thread: Somniphobia (sort of?)

Somniphobia (sort of?)

Hi there, I'm not sure if anyone can relate to the problem I'm having, I've looked online a lot but not been able to find anyone with the exact same thing but here goes anyway. 10 days ago I was having a bit of trouble sleeping and i started to think about the process of sleep quite a lot. It's now got to the point where I can't imagine myself going to sleep at all, even though I have managed to every night (with some difficulty). The problem is that I've equated sleep with death and non-existence which to me seems impossible to imagine, so how can I get to sleep when I can't even imagine it at all?
    I was led in bed last night half asleep and it literally felt like my brain just couldn't comprehend itself being asleep so I would never sleep. I did go to sleep but I had vivid dreams that felt like they went on all night and it makes me feel like I can't lose consciousness any more. I feel like all 'I' really am is existence so how can 'I' cease to exist at night to go to sleep? It's a vicious circle and it's all I'm thinking about all day every day and I'm exhausted.
    I kind of doubt it because it seems so crazy but has anyone else experienced similar? Thanks.

Re: Somniphobia (sort of?)

I would try not to think of it as ceasing to exist I would think of it as like regenerating and taking time "fix" all the little damages that happen during the day like walking to much and making your feet hurt and digesting the food for the day. And the conscious part of your brain is distracting you so you need to shut it off and let your subconscious work. And your conscious brain doesn't cease to exist, I mean you still dream so. I'm sorry if this doesn't really help but I'm glad if it does. Hope you can sleep souldly soon!

That's an interesting thought: Do I exist when I am asleep?

But yes you do! Just think that even when you are asleep you are still aware of things around you or even within you, like you always wake up if you need the toilet rather than wetting the bed. That indicates you are still you, conscious but unconscious at the same time?

Try not to overthink it and be grateful you are still able to sleep. Dreams feel like they go on all night but apparently they don't. But if you wake up during a dream cycle it may feel like forever.

I wish I could sleep!

I can remember when my insomnia first started, and I was having panic in bed often by waking, I would start to dread going to sleep. That led me into worrying about how to even go to sleep and I felt like I didn't know how I should do it. Typical anxious thinking really when all you need to do is surrender to the subconscious taking over, but there it lies doesn't it - relinquishing control.

Another way to think about whether you exist is that the world outside of you exists as can be proven by someone sitting on your bed and waking you up. You exist to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I can remember when my insomnia first started, and I was having panic in bed often by waking, I would start to dread going to sleep. That led me into worrying about how to even go to sleep and I felt like I didn't know how I should do it. Typical anxious thinking really when all you need to do is surrender to the subconscious taking over, but there it lies doesn't it - relinquishing control.

Another way to think about whether you exist is that the world outside of you exists as can be proven by someone sitting on your bed and waking you up. You exist to them.
    Terry always has such good stuff to say. Yes, how about trying that, getting someone to be there when you sleep and then they can assure you that you do still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazamataz View Post
    Terry always has such good stuff to say. Yes, how about trying that, getting someone to be there when you sleep and then they can assure you that you do still exist?
    Thanks for the replies guys, Terrys comment kind of sums up the problem really, I'm still struggling with it but I'll get there, thank you!!

Thread Information