Thread: Toothache after having a filling

Unhappy Toothache after having a filling

A few weeks ago one of my teeth on the bottom-right side of my mouth (the second molar) became really sensitive, so much so that I couldn't bear to chew anything on that side of my mouth. I went to the dentist and he said a bit had broken off that tooth and that was causing the pain and sensitivity.

So this Monday I had my first ever filling. The trouble is that although the tooth isn't as sensitive as it was, I now get a dull ache there. It seems to be like an on-and-off pain - I'll notice it for a few hours, and then it'll go away again. It feels like the aching is coming from inside the tooth, and it happens regardless of whether I chew using that side of my mouth.

Is it normal to have this sort of pain a few days after having a filling, and if so, how long should it take until things go back to normal? I'm worried there might be something else wrong with that tooth that the dentist didn't notice.

Re: Toothache after having a filling

Dentists are the opposite of our GP's, their receptionists will actually go and find out and tell you. So, you could ask if you don't get much response on here.

My GF did that when she had a filling that resulted in ongoing pain. It turned out to be a nerve that had been affected by the work. It was only a temporary thing but her dentist said it happens sometimes as some nerves are very close.

It's only temporary, it's usually the injection site that's still a bit tender, mine was the same a few months back.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your replies. My tooth still feels painful this morning, and it's still sensitive when I drink cold water or milk.

MyNameIsTerry - for your girlfriend, did the pain go away on its own or did she need additional work done on the tooth?

I totally understand about the pain. Had filling earlier today, the local anesthetic is now wearing off, by now I have jaw pain when I eat �� is this normal ?
    Thx

Yes that can be quite normal

I'm pleased to say that the pain has gone away on its own. It took about 2 weeks for it to die down completely. I'm also more used to chewing on the right hand side of my mouth again.

Thread Information