Thread: Paroxetine increase dose or change meds?

Paroxetine increase dose or change meds?

Hello,

I am going through a really bad time at the moment with horrible anxiety and depression, I think it's the worst I've ever felt, I've been off work now for 8 weeks and don't feel any better on my current meds. Ive been on Paroxetine for many years and in the past it has really helped with my HA problems. I'm currently taking Paroxetine 30mg (been at that dose for 8 weeks after uping from 20mg) and Mirtrazipine 15mg, mainly to help with sleep. My question is, maybe from others experience, is it worth trying an increase on the Paroxetine to 40mg. My doctor is reluctant to do this and says it won't do any good and that self help is my only answer! I am going to CBT but would also really like to try an increase in case it might help me. Thanks to anyone who takes time to answer.

Andrew

Re: Paroxetine increase dose or change meds?

Quote Originally Posted by andy404 View Post
    Hello,

I am going through a really bad time at the moment with horrible anxiety and depression, I think it's the worst I've ever felt, I've been off work now for 8 weeks and don't feel any better on my current meds. Ive been on Paroxetine for many years and in the past it has really helped with my HA problems. I'm currently taking Paroxetine 30mg (been at that dose for 8 weeks after uping from 20mg) and Mirtrazipine 15mg, mainly to help with sleep. My question is, maybe from others experience, is it worth trying an increase on the Paroxetine to 40mg. My doctor is reluctant to do this and says it won't do any good and that self help is my only answer! I am going to CBT but would also really like to try an increase in case it might help me. Thanks to anyone who takes time to answer.

Andrew
    What does Paxil/Paroxetine feel like? I was prescribed it because I keep dry heaving and retching. I did some research and found the side effects too risky. I will be seeking anti-anxiety medication as my next port of call rather than very strong anti-depressants such as Paxil.

Quote Originally Posted by andy404 View Post
    My doctor is reluctant to do this and says it won't do any good and that self help is my only answer! I am going to CBT but would also really like to try an increase in case it might help me. Thanks to anyone who takes time to answer.

Andrew
    Whilst therapy is a must really if you ever want to recover properly since you need to learn how your mind works, spot the triggers, etc it's ludicrous for your GP to say that and believe that "self help" is the only way. Self help just means a short course of CBT based support, CCBT (online version with remote occasional support), short group work or just buying a book. Self help is the first stage on the ladder for treatment and it is absolutely NOT meant for anything other than the very mild.

Your GP could try an increase and see how you response. If this med has been helping you, it makes sense. If it's not helping at all when you start it or the increases do nothing for you, a switch is a good idea.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I have been on 30mg of paxil/paroxetine for 16 years.in the last year my anxiety has returned full force my doctor increased my dosage from 30 to 40 mg. I have been on it for 7 days and had increase in my anxiety and brain fog. My dr. seems to think upping my dose will help but the way I feel I don't know. Thank you from a big baby when it comes to meds.

Thread Information