Thread: Thinking about getting another cat

Thinking about getting another cat

So I have two cats - Rambo and Nibbler and they are brother and sister and are 10 years old. Both are in great health and don't see them going anywhere anytime soon

They have always been around each other and never been apart so I'm wary about what to do if anything ever happens to one of them, would the surviving one be OK alone or would I be best to get another cat so as if anything happens, they wouldn't be alone? We are also out sometimes for about 8/9 hours and I don't like the idea of just one cat being alone with no company for that long. That's not the main reason for me and my partner considering getting another cat but its been a thought that has lingered, probably as they are getting older and it makes me remember that one day something will happen to them :(

The only time they have been around other cats is with my mum's kittens and Rambo got on fine with them but Nibbler hissed the entire time. Nibbler is the dominant cat out the two, she even bullies Rambo at times.

We have enough room, money and love to adopt another cat and I know a few looking for a home at the moment but I don't know if it would be unfair on Rambo and Nibbler since they haven't been around other cats much before and they are used to just being themselves or I should just get another cat at some point and hope they all get along.

I'm probably over thinking it all but I just don't want to rush into anything and I want my cats to be happy.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: Thinking about getting another cat

I would leave things as they are.
    Make a decision when one of the cats reaches the end of its life. Sometimes a subordinate puss enjoys spending time alone & the dominant one remains they are self reliant. Nibbler could resent a new cat or he and the new cat may boss Rambo about.
    As your cats get older, extra money may be needed for their vets bills rather than on a new arrival.

Thread Information