Thread: Anxiety and Bowel Movements.

Anxiety and Bowel Movements.

Hello.

I have this social thing in a few weeks, where I know I'll have to sit on a chair for a time, in the middle of a big group of other people. I'm pretty much petrified, and have been under great deal of stress since I found out when the event is.

The reason is that when I'm anxious, I have a big urge to go to the toilet for a #2. I'm petrified that I'll get a panic attack, and either won't be able to go to the toilet during the event, or have an accident. The vision of me shitting my pants in front of everyone (worst case scenario) haunts me every day.

My plan is to get some over the counter pills that slow my metabolism, and to thoroughly empty myself before I go there. I even wanted to go to the doctor and see if I could get some pills prescribed to calm me down. But despite all this, I know my body, and I know that it always finds a way to scare me, and I know that I'll feel the need to go to the bathroom.

Does anyone have similar fears/phobias, and some effective ways to counter them? Thanks.

Re: Anxiety and Bowel Movements.

hey,

i noticed no one responded to this thread, and it's been posted for some time.

good luck at the event. post back here and let us know how it goes

and if worst should happen, just think about will from the in betweeners

lol sorry. just trying to add humor to this post

Only 6 days to go until the event. I'm nervous as hell. I can't sleep, I can't think, I can't relax.

Seriously, can I get some anxiety relief medicine over the counter that could help me?

Hi
    I have ibs D. Which flares up when I'm anxious and also in social situations.
    If it is a BIG. Event I'm going to, I make sure I eat a plain bland diet 2-3 days before the event. I usually take 2 Imodium on the morning of the event and have taken propanalol too (prescription from GP).
    Drinking camomile tea daily will calm you, and peppermint tea will sooth your gut.

Sedative antihistamines, will help you sleep.

Smile Re: Anxiety and Bowel Movements.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have IBS with diarrhoea caused by stress. The post which advised bland food and possibly Imodium( speak to the pharmacist first to see if it's suitable) was good. I tend to drink water and eat a few oatcakes although you may need a little more if you feel weak. I also joined. The IBS network website which has lots of good advice.
    Please let us know how you get on. Take care

Thanks for replies. I'll head to the pharmacy store tomorrow, and check if they sell some form of Imodium. Will also ask if they have something for calming the nerves. On the day of the event I'll take a walk or/and briefly exercise, hoping it will reduce my anxiety. I also plan on eating bland a day before, as I hope it should be enough.

It's done.

I took 2 capsules of generic Imodium brand, a few hours before the event, and 2 capsules of some natural medicine that was supposed to help. Imodium, or the generic version of it, helped, physically and mentally, while the other pills didn't, at least I think so. I was swimming on the surface of having a panic attack for quite some time, but the event went by without an incident in the end.

Until next such social gathering, that's that.

Hi

Glad to read that you got through it OK, remember that when you have the next event you tell yourself that you got through this one absolutely fine and you will get through the next one too.

Clare

Thread Information