Thread: Can depression/anxiety make someone do this?

Can depression/anxiety make someone do this?

I'll make this as brief as I can.

I am/was friends with somebody with very severe depression and anxiety who has attempted suicide in the past twice. We got along great and only a few weeks ago met up, had lovely days out, etc. and everything felt fabulous. We both liked each other and only three weeks ago he sent me a message saying that I make him feel better, being around me makes him feel happier and less suicidal and that I mean the world to him.

On our last meet-up, we both drank some alcohol though I consumed quite a lot. An argument ensued between both of us and I ended up having a breakdown and snapping at him quite a lot. I noticed that ever since he's been becoming distant but the other day he sent me a message saying that he wants nothing to do with me, my 'negatives' killed any feelings he had, that he doesn't want to see me again AND that it is my fault that he is feeling suicidal again, he wishes he was dead because of me.

This has made me feel so low, so confused and so anxious and upset. I find it hard to believe that only a few weeks ago we were so happy; one bad experience and it has turned everything around. We've had some rocky issues before when I confessed to him about my bad experiences with my ex (I was abusive to my previous partner) but we managed to see past all that. Now he's gone from absolutely adoring me, to completely hating me he said that anymore contact from me will 'send him over the edge'.

Our previous phone calls, I noticed that he was being quite spiteful and deliberating trying to find ways for me to 'hate him'. He even said to me ''What will it take for you to hate me?'' or something along those lines.

I'm devastated. I have done so much for him and been there for him and our experiences together have predominantly been excellent; how can this one thing tear it all apart?

Thank you for any insight.

Re: Can depression/anxiety make someone do this?

People with depression (as I have recently come to realise) feel at times suicidal. If you don't have it, it's probably,impossible to get your head around. You feel like there is no way out for you and suicide is the only option to be free from your own mind. Remember that depression has by this point robed you of any joy.

i don't know about your situation but he might want to distance himself from you because he doesn't want to hurt you.

Thread Information