Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: does anyone know if adults can have the cervical cancer vaccine

Re: does anyone know if adults can have the cervical cancer vaccine

No not yet.

Maybe you could think about helping others on here without asking them questions related to your own issues? Not necessarily related to HA. About managing anxiety in general. There's plenty of scope for that on NMP. Just don't turn it around to your problems?

Hi Becky, what might put your mind at ease is having a screening to see if you test positive for the hpv virus (this also includes a smear test). Some private clinics do this. As a high percentage of cervical cancers (which is still rare anyway) are caused by various strains of the hpv virus, if you come out negative, this will let you know you are really low risk. If you do come out positive (a lot of people do), it doesn't mean that you are going to get cervical cancer, it just means you are slightly higher risk. It does mean that you can go to the GP and request yearly smear tests than every three years. As cervical cancer is usually a very slow growing cancer, this would catch any abnormalities in the smear.

Like others have said, a lot of this is just your own worry levels/anxieties which you already realise (like most of us on here) and would having the vaccine or tests really put your mind at rest? The problem with having the vaccine later on in life is that as most 20 somethings onwards are sexually active, they have a greater chance of having already picked up the hpv virus. Under 20:-/teens haven't yet and that's why they get vaccinated at school.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Xxx

Hi thanks for your reply do the gp test for hpv do u no I had a private smear last year but not sure they checked for hpv don't think they did? Can I request this at the doctors do u no ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beckie4567 View Post
    Hi thanks for your reply do the gp test for hpv do u no I had a private smear last year but not sure they checked for hpv don't think they did? Can I request this at the doctors do u no ?
    You can ask I doubt they'll do it as their is no need to see if you have the virus.

Why do you ignore all the posts about helping your anxiety? Pulisa gave you some excellent advice above and you haven't bothered responding to it?

Please go and ask the doctor or your therapist for more help with your anxiety. Finding out if you have Hpv won't help your anxiety will it? Your worry about the next thing. Please tell me you see this. We are not being horrible. We are trying to help you. Surely you can see this. I feel so sad for you that your stuck in this rut- I've been their but your not helping your self. Please ask for help to help your self.

Beckie,
    Do you fully accept that you have health anxiety? I ask this because from what I've read in your posts I get the impression that you don't.
    In relation to the HPV test, I was on yearly screening due to previous problems, however due to this new test, I was taken off yearly as I wasn't a carrier of HPV, I was also told had that test been available when I had treatment due to an abnormal smear, I most likely wouldn't have needed the treatment.
    Testing is getting more advanced.
    All this worry and anxiety must be having a dramatic impact on you living your life, until you deal with that, you're going to continue to live in extreme fear.
    Xxx

Is that the new liquid based test that's the one I had at gyno privately.how did they no u wernt a risk of hpv without doing the hpv test ?
    Regarding my anxiety I do read everyone's post and appreciate everyone f them I no I have a problem and it is a daily struggle however uts even harder wen I have symptoms of something this is wen I really struggle I have got a gp appointment in few weeks time so I'm going to discuss this with them.

I just had an ordinary smear but they also test that for hpv, it came back negative for hpv so I'm now back to 3 yearly, my next one is due August so this was over two years ago.
    I do understand how you feel Beckie, but if you don't try to do something with the anxiety, I fear you are going to go through many rounds of testing, disbelief and increased anxiety.
    You must be exhausted with all of this worry. I really struggle when I have symptoms and it's taken a lot of hard work to rationalise things, but you can do it.
    Xxx

Thanks Tracey I'm not sure then weather it tested for hpv he didn't mention it just said smear was normal but detected ectroption so I guess ill have to ask that questionx

I honestly think anyone who answers your questions is not helping you. From reading your posts it seems that you're slightly addicted to reassurance, but that now the 'high' lasts for a shorter and shorter amounts of time.

I don't know if you are one of those anxious people who think worrying will actually stop bad things from happening or if your anxiety is just out of control but I do think this site isn't helping you and so I, like some others on here, am not going to be replying.

Good luck. I really hope you get well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information