Thread: Struggling with first day of work. Anyone else?

Struggling with first day of work. Anyone else?

Hey guys.

So before I left to go on Xmas hols I was really suffering anxiety at my work place with all aches and pains and back ache and associating it with going to the toilet etc. over the hols it kind of subsided even tho I did post on here but my back ache (because I was thinking about other things) didn't seem to bother me as much. Today have come back to work (I teach) and went to the toilet and bam began to have back ache after going, checking stools to see if they were ok, have been getting hot and cold Sweats and can't seem to concentrate on my day.
    Does this sound to you like it could be anxiety related? Maybe it is about time I got some tests done or just put it down to health anxiety and go back on Meds.

I know I post a lot on here but surely that's what this forum is about....helping one another????

Hope everyone else is ok.

Katy

Re: Struggling with first day of work. Anyone else?

Not sure it will help, but just so you don't feel your own I am really really struggling today.

Feelings of terror, despair, hopelessness inpending disaster, they are all there, along with a big old belt of thinking that I just don't care anymore if I'm here or not.

Not a great day. :(

Definitely sounds anxiety related to me! The fact that it's all got a lot worse today after a couple of weeks of being fine, suggests that perhaps your job is a worry for you too...

Try and think about your stresses as lots of drips, there could be lots of tiny little things, but if they accumulate there would be more than enough to fill and overfill a bucket - that's when it all gets out of hand.

The symptoms you mention are all anxiety symptoms so try not to worry about those on top of everything else - but you can start to improve your situation by trying to work out what other stresses you have in your life and fix those.

I know a few people who've quit teaching because of the stress and I'm not saying that you should also, but perhaps there is something about your job that's not working out for you & triggered this panic attack on your first day back - can you discuss it with someone i.e. a colleague, friend or partner?

My work is also a trigger for me, and I expect many others, you won't be the only one with skyrocketing anxiety today

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesk View Post
    Not sure it will help, but just so you don't feel your own I am really really struggling today.

Feelings of terror, despair, hopelessness inpending disaster, they are all there, along with a big old belt of thinking that I just don't care anymore if I'm here or not.

Not a great day. :(
    Support hugs for you James

I'm sure tomorrow will be better, today is a horrible shock to the system.

Thanks so much for your replies guys x

Our jobs/careers can be and are a source of stress in many of our lives. Whether you're self employed with the stresses of running your own business to a *&$!# of a boss that gives you a hard time to $$$ issues etc., yes, it can be and is stressful. I'm personally dealing with this and have been for several months. It's frustrating and exhausting both mentally and physically. BUT... I'm looking... that alone gives me hope and a purpose and makes the negativity I'm dealing with more tolerable.

That being said, what you describe certainly sounds anxiety related especially in light of it waning while you were distracted with other things over the holiday as well as your self checking behavior and the result immediately after doing so.

Concerning the forum? I have mixed feelings. In one sense, it's a great source of information and encouragement. Of course, one has to act on it, take the advice, pull themselves up by their bootstraps and find the inner strength to do the things necessary to get well. In a lot cases however, it's just a source of reassurance and enabling as well as an unintentional source of fuel for their anxiety. It's frustrating to watch, especially when you know there's nothing you can say that will help.

In the time I've been on the boards, I've seen many come and go. Some take those steps and you no longer see them. Some come, go and return now and again and some, sadly have never left and maybe never will. I was part of a couple of cancer forums. I'm healed. I rarely drop in anymore as it just brings back difficult memories. I believe, for those that have healed from their anxiety, it's much the same... they move on with their lives.

It's my hope that everyone get to the point that they can move on and forums focusing on illnesses, would be redundant....but it's just a hope...

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 04-01-16 at 12:43.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for your kind words. I just always wonder if this is anxiety or if I have a serious illness. It's a vicious circle as I'm too scared to get tests xx

Hi,
    I am also a teacher and I have similar symptoms except mine seem to get worse when I am on holiday and my mind is not occupied. I do think stress probably is a factor.
    Hope you have a better day tomorrow i'm dreading my first day back!

hope ur day goes well. If it was anything serious I need to always tell myself it would have gradually got worse not better. I think that's right anyway. Going to try tackle my fear x

Thread Information