Thread: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year. I have had a heavy cold, so have not posted for a few days.

I'm very interested to read everyone's latest posts.

I am now on 45 mgs Mirt (pm); 30 mgs Citalopram (am); 50 mgs Trazodone (pm). I am still sleeping relatively poorly despite the Trazodone, although my sleep has improved on what it was a couple of weeks back. I think the high dose of Mirt may be too stimulating, as I am very anxious in the mornings: jittery etc.

I will continue on my current regime until Friday, when I have my first appointment with a psychiatrist. I am very hopeful about this.

I am struck by how difficult it is to get the balance right with these medications.

I truly believe, though, that a combination of medication and therapy is the best course for most people. I find meditation and mindfulness very useful, and I try to put them into practice every day: easier said than done when you are 52 and a lifelong sufferer from pretty severe anxiety. But: I have to keep on trying, and I am hopeful; I think we can 'retrain' our minds, with patience, effort and persistence.

I guess none of us on here are every likely to be easygoing sort of folk, but I truly believe that we can change.

Happy New Year to everyone. I am hopeful!

Re: Happy New Year!

There are two or three other current useful threads on NMP about Mirtazapine (including one of mine). You might want to check them out.

But you are quite correct about having to retrain out brains; I am 62 and have acute anxiety and severe depression. My journey on Mirtazapine has not been another an easy one and you are right - at too high a dose, Mirtazapine can be over-stimulating.

Here's to happier New Years for all.

I want off this drug now! I went up to 45mg's last time I took it and just felt worse and worse so quit with horrifiic wd symptoms but they passed quickly. I got well on Lexparo and Ativan until my doctor took the Lorazepam away then I went into wd again as it was too sudden. I let a doctor talk me into trying Mirtazapine another go but it's totally rubbish for me! I don't even sleep on 15mg so gonna chop it down to 705mg tonight. No point taking something that does absolutely nothing for me!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR, hope every one gets really well xxxx PS>Does any one else feel like that they are never quite here on Mirtazapine?

Great to hear from you A63 and so glad you've got a psych appointment on Friday after all you've been through to get there. It's really good to hear you're hopeful too - that's worth a lot!

And it really does seem tricky to get the right meds for each individual...I think I may be experiencing a little improvement now I've been on 30mg Mirt and 75mg Venlafaxine for ten days but it's very early days and I feel very fragile. I hope the psychiatrist is able to tweak things for you in a way that works for you.
    I too want to improve my mindfulness skills...ironically I'm a trainee counsellor so I should know what to do, but it takes real discipline and I've now discovered there's a level of anxiety where you can't really do anything other than survive. Once I'm a bit stronger I think that will be the time to put the effort in.

Hugs to you A63, will be good to hear how your week goes xx

Hi Is,

Great to hear from you too.

I'm just back from my local First Aid Unit: gashed the inside of my right hand while attempting to get stuff into the recycling bin (caught my hand on an opened tin). Three stitches.

I agree with what you say about levels of anxiety; I do think there is a point beyond which CBT/mindfulness/meditation cannot really reach; then you just have to do whatever it takes to survive.

I would say that your own experiences will make you a better counsellor, Is. I think you're doing extremely well to work part-time, study part-time, and look after your children at the moment.

I'm certainly doing a lot better than I was even a couple of weeks ago, but I feel quite jaded. My sleep has improved, but I persist in waking up between 2 and 3 am every night, although I go back to sleep after a bit. I don't know if the jadedness is down to the drugs, or to disrupted sleep, or to a combination of the two. Hopefully the psychiatrist will be able to help.

It's great that you're experiencing some improvement.

I'll let you know how I go!

Hugs to you.

A xx

Thread Information