Thread: Escitalopram - 17 days - no obvious real improvements

Escitalopram - 17 days - no obvious real improvements

Hi guys,

If you have read any previous posts you would of realised that I had severe Health Anxiety to the point I avoided doctors since I was 13/14. I am now 25, 63kg, 5'5, woman. So I have had a number of symptoms for years and years, derealisation, depresonalisation, numerous physical symptoms etc. Anyway I was miserable for the entire 2015 year, I reached a point I could not cope any longer. Severe chest pain, pain in my body, chest tightness, either a slow pulse or a fast pulse. I was playing squash 7 days a week trying to get away from these symptoms and thoughts until I finally crashed about 1 week before Xmas, massive panic attack to the point I thought I was having a heart attack. Made an appointment to see my GP who hadn't seen me in 10 or more years. Walked in the door and totally broke down, he was amazing, so supportive and I'm very thankful for taking an hour out of his busy day to see me. I was hesitant to let him do anything to me. But he checked my heart, told me it was running a little fast from anxiety but it was fine. Said next time he would do an ECG to put my mind at ease. So that day was New Years Eve. He completed the ECG over about a minute or two. Came out normal (although I was so worked up my heart rate was 104) he said that everything was perfect and that I didn't need to worry about my heart anymore and I didn't fit the picture for a heart condition anyways. So he then checked my lungs, fine and he took a thyroid blood sample as Hypo and Hyper thyroid is really common and genetic in my family. So I get those results tomorrow.

Anyway my question is, when do you notice the effects from Escitalopram (generic lexapro) - I haven't noticed anything really yet and I have absolutely NO appetite at all, its killed my appetite, stomach is sensitive too. It effected my sleep for a week but thats ok now. What does it feel like when it kicks in? When should I expect this to happen? I have never been on an SSRI before obviously.

Re: Escitalopram - 17 days - no obvious real improvements

It can take quite a while for any benefits, unfortunately. I've been on citalopram 19 days and still feel awful, anxiety a lot worse still :( That's normal as far as everyone here says so I'd say hang in there and you should notice some improvements soon x

I wasnt satisfied with it after a month, just made me want to go and lie down all the time, but thats just me, any concerns you must bring to your doc; 17 days is still early yet

I think I'll be jumping on the escitalopram band wagon in the next couple of days. My anxiety is out of control and it's killing my appetite. Nausea has always been a big thing with me for the past 13 years with anxiety. Let us know if things change for the better for you if you can. Might give me more hope.

Thanks for everyones replies - I will keep you updated.

First time I started with Escitalopram, I started noticing improvements after 1 month or so and was really better after 3-4 months (in the meantime was getting Xanax to help).

I've started again since 10 days and I'm getting the bad stuff now...hope it will get better in 10-20 days

I'm on them nearly a month now and I'm still super nauseous and have stomach complaints (stomach was never effected by anxiety before so its not that) I'm guessing its from the drug, it started by day 2 of being on Lexapro. I have no appetite, no real want for food and its especially bad in the morning time. I'm still getting uncomfortable symptoms of anxiety too. Little bit of OCD on and off, physical symptoms, derealisation etc.... Surely by now, nearly on this drug a month (10mg) it should be working? Feeling a little worn down like it will never be better. I do have a few diazepam for when stuff gets bad but don't want to be dependent on them, I did take one yesterday and I felt great after it.... Any advice greatly appreciated?

Thread Information