Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thyroid help please

Re: thyroid help please

Hi Crinkle,

An ESR of 20 is normal. I just had a Google (I don't know off the top of my head a normal ESR level!) and it is from 0-22 for men and 0-29 for women, apparently.

I too have Sacroiliitis. I was diagnosed this year after a long history of (strangely) pain in my hips when sleeping which kept me awake, and lower back pain. I had an x-ray and was told it was that and was referred for physio. The physio also told me that I have a lumbar spine abnormailty (sacralisation) which is why I had such a stiff back and the pain.

The physio helped hugely and they gave me some exercises to do at home, which strengthen the core, so less stress is put on the lumbar area and things should not feel so painful.

Apart from the exercises and bog standard stuff like painkillers, that was that. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jimsmrs View Post
    Hyperthyroidism is 'over-active' Thyroid and 'Hypothyroidism' is under-active Thyroid..

If the T4 is low, a high TSH level would show that the Thyroid gland, not the pituitary gland is responible for the Hypothyroidism 'under-active'

If the T4 level is low and the TSH is not high, then the pituitary gland is at fault and the cause of the Hypothyroidism 'under-active', so the treatment regime would be totally different.
    Yes but a low T4 level could also mean a heathy conversion of T4 to T3 which is the active thyroid hormone. Never mind the fact that high T3 in the serum can mean low uptake of thyroid by the cells. I've heard of people being diagnosed as hyperthyroid with extremely high levels of T3 treating their hyperthyroidism with thyroid hormone... Successfully. Presumably the supplemented thyroid eased the throttle off of adrenaline and allowed the cells to uptake T3, the curious thing is that they used dessicated thyroid which has T3 in it, initially the symptoms were worse and then they lessened and eventually went away.
    If a person eats upwards of at least 4 grams of polyunsaturated fat a day, it's highly unlikely that that person is truly hyperthyroid, no matter what the tests say, polyunsaturated fat is one of the worst offenders for inhibiting the uptake of thyroid.

However, I understand that high free thyroid for all intents and purposes can be classified as hyperthyroidism and the symptoms are caused by that, its stupid to assume that the problem is the thyroid itself.
    Last edited by Blinkyrocket; 09-01-16 at 05:11.

Last edited by Blinkyrocket; 09-01-16 at 05:09.

So Blinkyrocket....my Consultant Endocrinologist is, according to you 'stupid'????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information