Thread: Second week pregabalin

Second week pregabalin

Will pregabalin cause tolerance like benzodiazepines? I'm into my second week now and been pretty knocked out and sleepy with this drug, though it has stopped my racing thoughts and calmed me down A LOT, plus stabalised my mood! I'm currently on 100mg 2 x daily, I feel a lot less anxious in familiar settings now such as my house etc, whether that calmness translates into the outside world I'm not sure as I haven't really tested it yet, I suspect I will need a higher dose to feel calm outside. I'm worried this drug works for me really well, then just stops working, is that common? has anyone had continued positive outcomes from long term pregabalin use?

Re: Second week pregabalin

Sounds good anxious - well done on your progress. Your experience sounds like the most common one: general calming.

Some people report tolerance etc., but many people have been on it for years here and will confirm it still works for them. I have been on it for 18 months, and it still works for me at the same dose I started on.

As ever when starting meds, it's best to take it one day at a time and not worry too much about the future. In the meantime, it sounds like Preg is doing what it's supposed to do, which is great. I found Preg gave me my life back; hopefully it will be the same for you.

Albert

Thanks for the reply Albert!

Can I ask what dose you're on? I think I will need to go up to at least 300mg.

I'm just worried as the drug mentions it treats generalised anxiety, though I think I have strong agoraphobic symptoms and too apprehensive to venture out in the world on my own. I just wonder if pregabalin will help that as it isn't licensed for panic with or without agoraphobia, or even social anxiety which I have. I hope it does more than just make me feel a little bit calm in the house.

Hi Anxious_100,

I have been taking pregabalin for around five and a half years now. Although I did move up to the maximum dose (600 mg per day) fairly early on, I've been fine with it continuing to work and with no desire to increase the dose. After 40+ years of anxiety-related problems, it's been the best thing for me.

Don't worry too much about the labels for different anxiety illnesses - they were quite different a couple of decades ago, and will no doubt change in the future with better understanding. The most important thing is to find what works for you.

hi Anxious,

Am on 150mg, 75mg in the AM, 75mg at night. Helpful for sleep too, if taken around 1hr before. It is not in the first line for panic, certainly. But the main panic meds are benzos which are great in the short term but can lead to lots of problems in the long.

And most Drs don't like handing them out for any length of time. Preg is a much safer and medically more respectable option for the long term. I have no idea of impact of higher dose for more extreme anxiety, though I assume more helpful still.

As I said, take one day at a time. But I would experiment re going out etc; you never know, the Preg you are on may be what you need for that too; remember, once you found going out on your own fine and easy: that is the natural state of things - you will go back there. And hopefully the meds will help this return.

Albert

where in UK are you British guys?

I don't want to speak to soon, however its been two weeks now on my new medication and its certainly exerting its effects now. I'm getting feelings of clarity/relaxation I haven't experienced in years, its very hard to explain. This however is only in the house and familiar situations, I see my GP tomorrow and she will most likely increase the dose as I'm just under the therapeutic threshold. I hope it continues to help me and translates these feeling into the outside world. I feel like my anxiety is a massive ice sheet and this medicine is melting it away bit by bit everyday. Please god may this continue to help and even get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxious_100 View Post
    I don't want to speak to soon, however its been two weeks now on my new medication and its certainly exerting its effects now. I'm getting feelings of clarity/relaxation I haven't experienced in years, its very hard to explain. This however is only in the house and familiar situations, I see my GP tomorrow and she will most likely increase the dose as I'm just under the therapeutic threshold. I hope it continues to help me and translates these feeling into the outside world. I feel like my anxiety is a massive ice sheet and this medicine is melting it away bit by bit everyday. Please god may this continue to help and even get better.

Out of curiosity, are you in Scotland?

Anxious, I'm so pleased to hear you're feeling better. Good luck with the GP and let us know how you get on.

Thread Information