Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound like globus?

Arrow Does this sound like globus?

Hi everyone!

I hope you're all as well as can be

I started getting a lump sensation in my throat around a month ago, maybe a little longer. At first it was just a minor irritation, but I've gotten more and more aware of it.

At the time I first noticed it, I was experiencing extreme anxiety. I put it down to that (especially as I've recently seen ENT in the last couple of months for sinus pressure, and he did briefly examine my throat).

It has gotten more noticeable, so I mentioned it to my GP (who manages my anxiety) last week. He said he believes it's globus. I trust my GP - he's never once got it wrong He ran full bloods though (as I have a few other things he wanted to check, like thyroid) - they all came back clear.

I've never experienced such a strange sensation. It's like a lump in my throat that comes and goes throughout the day. I'm aware of it for maybe half an hour, then it seems to disappear. It doesn't affect eating or drinking.

Does this sound like globus? I do have acid reflux as well, so might be something new connected to that?

Any thoughts would be most welcome, as I'm starting to worry about it.

Thank you!

Re: Does this sound like globus?

sounds textbook to me, like what I suffer with.

Thank you, Danath! It's such a bizarre feeling isn't it???

very much so!

Your GP sounds like he got it spot on again

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Let me just tell you of my experience. I have had this problem before and I can't say what started it nor can I say what I did to make it go away. In fact I know that I didn't follow any kind of therapy or take any kind of drugs to alleviate the problem. I do truly believe that it comes from 2 factors. One is anxiety which I believe causes digestive issues and creates acid reflux. So for me I had to figure out what was the biggest cause of anxiety for me and try to remind myself that stress and anxiety doesn't come from what happens to me but how I react to it. The best way to me is to just stop thinking about things and stop worrying. I still have the problem and it is driving me nuts which is one of the reasons why I have it to begin with. So for me, crazy as it sounds, I had to give up WSOP free poker. I hate to lose and a streak of bad luck started causing anxiety and that is when globus came back. So my first test is to just let that go and see what happens. I also noticed that I don't have any discomfort from this until I start checking to see if it is still there. Once I start thinking about it then it comes back. I've also noticed that when I am going about my daily life and concentrating on other things then I don't notice it at all. Trust me! It will go away and it will start when you stop worrying or giving it any attention. It takes time but once you realize that it is something that comes from what you think about, and you don't give those things any value anymore then that is when it starts to subside. Good luck!

Mine started after really bad anxiety that spawned my first panic attacks and eating 3 to 2 cloves of garlic for a week. I first had really bad reflux, then the lump in my throat sensation that has last for 2 months almost now. It sucks :{ I just want it gone. I do have mild gastritis though.

Can someone describe how the sensation feels?

I feel like something is stuck to the back/side of my tongue sometimes.
    I also feel like there's something on the right side of my throat when I swallow - it feels irritating and I'm pretty worried since I've had thise for several months now..

Quote Originally Posted by yodascat View Post
    Can someone describe how the sensation feels?
    Click here.....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

This is such a common anxiety symptom, but it takes people by surprise. They convince themselves it must be something else. I know I did when it happened to me.

Globus is one of the few occasions when a consultation with Dr Google actually did me some good. Seeing that it was common and that it was just being brought on by my anxiety and my hypersensitivity completely diminished my fear of this symptom. I still have anxiety, but globus has completely gone.

The thing to do is to not give the symptom so much fear and attention. So what if you start retching? I retched. It was horrible, but then I found out what globus was and I was able to stop being concerned with it. I saw the feelings in my throat as an anxiety lie and paid them no heed. No, I didn't like it. But I didn't fear it, and then it went away. This is a symptom that, if it were to come back, I wouldn't worry. I'd just give it its space, knowing what it is.

Obviously I'm not a doctor, and new symptoms should be checked out. But if your doctor tells you it's globus and a facet of anxiety, you can relax about this unpleasant but harmless symptom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information