Thread: Cost

Cost

Surely pregabalin is more cost effective than SSRI'S? it is my impression that pregabalin works a lot better than SSRI's for anxiety, so surely giving someone pregabalin and helping them get better more quickly and to perhaps progress in life where anxiety once held them back is surely better for society as a whole and therefore more cost effective in the long run? I know outright pregabalin is much more expensive, but if doctors looked at it from a long term issue, then surely the pregabalin is more cost effective in the long run?

Better that, than having people disabled by anxiety, claiming benefits from the state because they are unable to make life changes because they are only on rubbish SSRI's which really don't do much for anxiety.

Don't let doctors palm you off with the cost issue.

Re: Cost

Has the cost for it not fallen recently as the patent on it has came to and end for prescriptions not involving pain as far as I can make out

I'm not too sure to be honest, though a lot of people say there GP won't prescribe it due to cost, so I just assume its still expensive

well my doctors has only put me on meds and said used these site to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    well my doctors has only put me on meds and said used these site to help me.
    What meds did they give you?

citalopram

Preg is expensive, but has just come off patent for GAD in UK (though not stuff like neuropathic pain) and there is a generic now out there (cant recall name). Having said that, even the generic is quite pricey, though cheaper than original from Pfizer.

In comparison, stuff like Prozac has been out for years, there are tons of generics, and they now cost buttons (quite possibly less than the monthly prescription cost). This is one influence for why older drugs are in the first line for anxiety and depression.

I am in England. The Scotland situation is complicated and has been discussed here before (do a search). Getting it in some parts of England can be tricky; county of Bucks seems to be a major problem area.

The best route wherever you are is to get to see a psychiatrist asap; a GP will usually issue a NHS prescription off the back of their recommendation (many don't know about Preg for GAD in my experience)

Good luck

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by SmilingAlbert View Post
    Preg is expensive, but has just come off patent for GAD in UK (though not stuff like neuropathic pain) and there is a generic now out there (cant recall name). Having said that, even the generic is quite pricey, though cheaper than original from Pfizer.

In comparison, stuff like Prozac has been out for years, there are tons of generics, and they now cost buttons (quite possibly less than the monthly prescription cost). This is one influence for why older drugs are in the first line for anxiety and depression.

I am in England. The Scotland situation is complicated and has been discussed here before (do a search). Getting it in some parts of England can be tricky; county of Bucks seems to be a major problem area.

The best route wherever you are is to get to see a psychiatrist asap; a GP will usually issue a NHS prescription off the back of their recommendation (many don't know about Preg for GAD in my experience)

Good luck

Albert

Can pyshcs in Scotland avise a GP to prescribe it for GAD? I read some places that it is not licensed for this in Scotland, but other stuff has folk in scotland being prescribed it for GAD

I'm afraid I don't know. I think that there have been Scottish folk on here who have had it for GAD, but it hasn't been straightforward; have a search.

Thread Information