Thread: OCD and analysing.

OCD and analysing.

Hey!
    A week ago I got my OCD back with an obsession I've had before. It is again about travelling dimensions. So the thought popped in my mind and I was like, this is just a though, nothing important. The next morning I wake up, I start noticing my father being kind of energetic and like almost drunk, but i am 100% sure he was not drunk. This weird thing has happened before when I had Depersonalization some time ago.
    So in time I started noticing similar things looking weird, and it fuels my anxiety, almost leading me to panic attacks. I start analysing what people say and their behaviour and compare it with their usual behaviour, and it seems different to me.
    I cannot get out of this obsession simply because of this analysing and comparing. I remind to myself that the thought is irrational and stupid, but these random things make me believe the thought is real.

Re: OCD and analysing.

Hey viking,

I would say that you don't have to worry, what you are doing is "checking" which is pretty common in OCD. Anxiety may cause you to percebe things differently as you would normally do.

Ask yourself if you would be totally calm, would you be vigilant of this weirdness? Probably not, you wouldn't even care about them. As in CBT therapy recognize your obsession with your thoughts but do not surrender to the compulsion behind it which is "checking" if whatever you percebe is "weird".

You are fine believe me, if you recognize the thought is ridiculous, then do not pay attention to the thought and eventually it will lose its power.

Tom

Re: OCD and analysing.

Thanks Tom.

Thread Information