Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin advice please

Pregabalin advice please

Some of you might have seen my thread about withdrawing from Mirtazapine/

I am aged 62 and until last September had never been on any ADs. Ten years ago I did have an anxiety episode for which I was prescribed Propanalol - which worked and I only took them for about 6 months.

Last year I had another episode which resulted in extreme anxiety and because I am now an asthmatic I cannot take Propanalol. Instead my GP prescribed Sertraline, initially at 50 mg and then upped two weeks later to 100 mg. Within 4 weeks of starting the Sert I was bouncing off the walls and suffering serious heightened anxiety.

My GP switched me to Mirtazapine - initially at 15 mg and then increased two weeks later to 30 mg. It completely destroyed what little sleep I enjoyed and further heightened my anxiety, so after 8 weeks I decided to withdraw. I reduced to 22.5 mg, then 15 mg, and I am now on 7,5 mg (since Christmas Day). I am now getting some sleep - it is not ideal, but far better than the 2-3 hours per night I existed on for many weeks.

While the situation which started my anxiety is beginning to resolve itself, I still have extreme anxiety. My GP has prescribed me 2 mg diazepam twice a day to take the edge off the anxiety as and when necessary. I realise that 2 mg is a small dose, but I do find them effective - and they calm me within 5-10 minutes. I do believe I am very sensitive to meds. I am very frugal with the Diaz. - only taking them when I feel desperate, mostly because I know my GP will not want me to become reliant on them and will eventually stop giving them to me.

I have had some days (like today), when I awake with that awful tight pressure on my chest, adrenaline churning somersaults in my stomach and this anxiety has continued throughout the day. Today has been very bad and has left me feeling very tense and with dreadful pains in my back.

I am seeing my GP on Monday and will have my husband with me for support. (He works away most of the time so I spend a lot of time on my own).

Both my husband and I have done quite a lot of research on Pregabalin and feel it MIGHT suit me - although I would want to start at the lowest possible dose.

I really would appreciate any comments about Pregabalin users' experiences and their thoughts about how useful Preg might for me.

Hopefully over the weekend I can get sufficient information to discuss this with my GP as a possible way forward for me.

I am due to start CBT next week, and hope that if I can get the meds right, this two-pronged approach might sort me out.

Thanks.

Re: Pregabalin advice please

Hi Sandie,

As you say, you have researched pregabalin and found it might be helpful. No-one can say for sure, but I think it's worth a shot. It's also a recommended second or third line medication for anxiety when ADs haven't been effective, which is the case for you. Good luck with your GP.

Thank you Hanshan - I know you have been on Pregabalin for some years. To be honest, I would really like to be meds free - but living with the the physical symptoms of my anxiety is becoming increasingly more difficult - and painful.

is anybody having some success with low doses of Pregabalin ?

If my GP prescribes it today, then I really would like to start on the lowest dose possible.

where in the UK are you?

Shiznit - I am in Kent.

Let me know how you get on with the GP, I'd quite like to try this drug, but my GP is unwilling to prescribe it

Good luck with your GP sandie

Well people - my GP, who I actually quite like and who sits and listens and is prepared to spend time with me, believes that Pregabalin is not the best med for my anxiety.

Despite my being an asthmatic, and because he feels my asthma is well controlled, he has now prescribed me Propanalol.

He is happy for me to continue with my 7.5 Mirtazapine at night, but has given me 3x40mg Prop daily.

He has suggested that initially I only take 2 x 40mg per day - at breakfast and then early evening, and as long as it does not exacerbate my asthma I can take one before bedtime. Ideally I need to allow 6 hours between doses.

Off course the advantage of Propanalol of Pregabalin or any other AD is that there are generally no start-up side effects and it can be stopped and started very easily, ie, if I stopped for a week and then had issues, I could start again, take for a few days and then stop again.

Apparently I need to allow 2 hours after the tablet to know if it is working properly, but if I wish I can supplement with diazepam.

Why did they not want to prescribe Pregabalin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information