Thread: Day 4 - Does it get better?

Day 4 - Does it get better?

Hi guys,

I've been prescribed Citalopram for a bout of Health Anxiety I've had for about a month. In my mind I've thought everything wrong with me because of physical symptoms from chest pain to a clicking knee joint.

Does anyone have any experience where Cit has made you worse before you get better? I'm on Day 4 taking the tablet after meals in the afternoon/evening. Day 1 and Day 2 were okay bar some digestion and diarrhoea but yesterday about an hour after taking the tablet, I was sat at my laptop on my bed, just like I am now, and the left hand side of my chest (heart side) made half a dozen noticeable jolts. I'm not confident enough to say 100% that this was my heart but I was up on my feet sharpish pacing around the room with hot sweats and the expected chest pain that follows. I had a small cry then about an hour later calmed down and got ready for bed.

Other side effects I'm suffering are:
    Cough/dry throat (resulting in phlegm)
    Bit of a headache and occasional visual blurs.
    A bizarre right hand side shoulder and neck ache.

Hoping things get better and I can get through this.

Thanks
    Last edited by HATH; 10-01-16 at 19:04.

Re: Day 4 - Does it get better?

Citalopram is known to make things worse before they get better. As you've commented on my own post you know it's not doing much for me this time, but it does work well for others.

I'm not a good example at the moment but just wanted to post some encouragement as you did for me. Hope you feel better soon.

Re: Day 4 - Does it get better?

Hi HATH
    it's actually a GOOD sign citalopram is making things worse believe it or not! Some people (I think it's about 1 in 20) are non responders to it, the fact it's having these effects suggests strongly to me that you'll feel some great benefits.
    I suspect by week 4 you'll notice everything has settled and you'll feel a bit better and somewhere between week 6-8 you'll at some point think to yourself what a good day/week you've had. That's the citalopram, stick with it, don't throw in the towel!!

Thread Information